Soundtrack for Rear Window

Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass:

This song is an instrumental and has a calm happy feel to it, it doesn’t make you think of murder, investigation, and unbearable heat; and that’s why I think it’s a perfect intro to this story. If everything is presented as a happy and same atmosphere at the beginning it could mislead the audience to a happy story, or lead them to a dreadful one depending on how trusting the audience is. Either way, it leads to suspense, which in this whole film. We don’t know what’s going to happen. We are led to believe that Jeff is just delusional and bored in his hot New York apartment. This song is a good cover-up for what’s going to happen for those who are gullible, and for those who aren’t. Knowing and simultaneously not knowing is what creates suspense.

I Will Possess Your Heart by Death Cab For Cutie:

This song, just by title, is more about the obsession and lust that is mistaken for love which doesn’t directly connect to Jeff’s situation, although we could argue that Jeff is infatuated with his neighbor; out of sheer fear and worry for Ms. Thorwald. This song opens with a very long instrumental that builds up slowly to the chorus. The intro aids to an investigation ambiance, there is something seriously wrong here; tone to it. Jeff is slowly becoming more and more obsessed with his neighbor to try and find the truth, this song follows the same story, slowly building up to the truth. The lyrics don’t fully match the movie so I would edit the scene when Jeff first picks up his binoculars and accelerates to his camera only with the long intro and cut out right before the lyrics start because I hope Jeff isn’t in love with Mr. Thorwald.

Suspenseful Crime Scene Music:

I would include this song in Rear Window by Alfred Hitchcock because it has a very suspicious vibe to it; which is the first attribute I looked for when searching for music to score this movie with. The name of the song is suspenseful crime scene background music; so it seems very appropriate to attach this to the scene when Lisa and Stella are going to investigate the crime scene. To see if they can dig up anything incriminating, to finally prove their case against Lars Thorwald. The song slowly picks up and increases in suspense and dramatics, there are more instruments or effects which can make the audience more on edge for what follows. When Lisa makes the rash and impulsive decision to sneak into Mr. Thorwald’s house, I would cut to the end of the song where the music picks up more. This would increase the fear in the audience, thus making even more suspense which is Alfred Hitchcock’s defining trope throughout his films, that we have watched.

Halloween Theme Music:

This is a classic, and has quite the reputation but it fits too well for this movie to not include. When Jeff is attacked there needs to be some suspense and worry if Jeff is going to make it out alive or not. The fact that this song is from a classic murder movie would make the audience anticipate Jeff’s demise and an ultimate ending that comes from being too curious. If we pretend that this isn’t a well-known song it still fits very well in the film, the song creates suspense and fear just by being a generally creepy song. I do believe viewing it as a well-known song makes it somewhat more suspenseful because we know the story attached to this song so the audience will have a lingering fear that something terrible will happen to Jeff.

Everybody Loves Somebody by Dean Martin:

The ending of Rear Window is very joyful and it ties everything up in a happy bow. We see Jeff’s neighbors with their loved ones, the murder house is being repainted and the newlyweds are starting their journey to the stereotypical nagging wife life. This song is what it’s titled, everybody loves somebody. It’s a happy song so I think choosing this as a closing song is a good way to end the film. This especially connects to Jeff and Lisa’s ending, Lisa is staying with Jeff as he recovers from Mr. Thorwald’s attempt on Jeff’s life, which landed him with a second broken leg. Despite their constant differences throughout the film Jeff and Lisa end up together, their love for each other finally starting to grow. It’s a cheesy ending, therefore why not add a cheesy song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HG_I0BF6RM (Crime scene Music)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfBHEIANFSA (Halloween Theme Song)