Sterling: XL pipeline project

​Intro paragraph
The XL pipeline is a plan that's is supposed to help the United States lower fuel prices and decrease dependency on other nations. Since we have to build a massive pipeline from Canada to Texas more jobs will be available! With every type of plan there are downfalls. With massive Co2 emissions in the air the weather will be effected adversely. Also, the pipeline may break which would be devastating because its not regular oil; it's tar sand oil which is dirtier that regular oil. 

In our history class we had to write three monologues from the standpoints of different people involved in the XL pipeline. One monologue must be recorded. My first monologue is about a normal Canadian man who might have the pipeline built in his backyard. The second is an nerdy environmentalist blogger who is blogging about the new pipeline project. The last is about a Congressmen from Texas who must battle the decision between vetoing and supporting the pipeline. A portion of his family lives where the pipeline will be built but the other portion are always complaining about oil prices. 

My overall goal was to show the importance of this pipeline being built. Also, to show the grief and major decision making behind the scenes and in the limelight with the congressmen.  

Monologue 1  (Normal Canadian)

Character description
- This is a Canadian average Joe who is going to have the XL pipeline built in his backyard if it is passed(Setting: In the home of a Canadian man who is scared that the pipeline might go through his backyard.)

(After a long day of work walks though door, sits and watch the news. Reporters are talking about XL pipeline. Tired look on face, which turns irritated)

I’m finally home from a long day of work and now this!  Now my mind really won’t be quite settled tonight. I just wanted to pop a squat in my futon and eat. Now I’m wondering how I will live with a giant pipeline going through my backyard. Now don’t get me wrong the USA benefits from this a lot, but what is in for us Canadians. Do our oil prices get lower do we get thousand of barrels a day? No! (slams remote) We have to worry about if the pipeline will hold and not burst into our yards. Also, this isn’t any regular oil, but it’s tar sand oil that is significantly dirtier than regular oil. If this dirty oil leaks it is a done deal for my home. (Stutters) W-w-what about the kids? Will they be safe with all the CO2 emissions in the air. (Pace back and forth facial expression as if many things are going through his mind.) I guess I need to calm down and go to bed hopefully the government makes the right decision not to do so.

(Walks upstairs and goes to sleep soon to be awaken by wife) (laying down half sleep half awake eyes are half open) “Hi honey how was work?” (voice comes from background) “Okay, Did you hear about that XL pipeline thing there talking about! Aren’t you happy? People in America will have oil and won’t depend on other countries.” Why is she so excited over it and it’s like 4am. I jump up out of bed after being so irritable “HAPPY…HAPPY? There’s going to be a giant pipeline going thought our back yard! What if it breaks and kills our kids? We won’t have a home, we will die and LIFE WILL END!”  (wife in background while laughing she says) “Oh stop it honey, get some sleep and we will talk about this tomorrow!” (fades to black)

Things I did well:

-Conflict

-Provides a lot of details and info

-The background comes through

What I need to work on:

Monologue not dialogues!!

Monologue 2 (Environmentalist Blogger)

Character Description-  This is a nerdy blogger who is making a blog about the XL pipeline

(Setting: On a webcam, excited to be talking about this environmental issue, His face is extremely close to the camera)

Hello guys!! (breathes heavily) I can’t believe this is happening (breathes heavier) This new XL pipeline is the revolution for the united states. It’s also the answer to all of our oil price problems! (fixes glasses) Oh my goodness my resources are telling me that the US is planning on making a crazy “ginormous” pipeline that goes from Canada all the way to Texas. Why oh why would we need such a massive pipeline? For oil (moves in excitement.) Isn’t this great! So what if it may be a little dirty. We all our a little dirty that doesn’t make you any less than the next man. Of course there will be a couple problems. One of the problems are the Co2 emissions. (sarcastic voice) Aw man that’s such a bad problem. It’s simply going to get hotter and we can just shed clothes. (smiles and laughs slightly) I don’t see the problem with that! (thumbs up) Also, no matter how you put it oil can spill weither a pipe bursts or if bp hates our world again. (laughs into a serious face) Okay I know that was corny but I tried. My stand is totally for it. I don’t think our country would mind if we had lower fuel price. So tune in next time to and I will recap the results and see weither this pipeline is passed or not. See you next time my fellow blogger conrad muchachos !

Monologue 3

Character Description-  A Congressman from Texas who must make a decision to pass or veto the pipeline. He is confused because he has family in Texas who might have the pipeline in the backyard and family that is complaining about oil price!

(Setting: Sitting at the table in the white house by himself after the meeting to propose the XL pipeline. Thinking to himself after the meeting...confused trying to make a decision.)

(having the XL Pipeline folder in front of him trying to make a decision)

Man, (slams folder and un-tucks shirt.)  This is crazy!! I don’t know weather I should support this or not. There are many upsides and downsides to this plan. Sometimes I think being a congressman is to hard. Doesn’t Barack know that by passing this there will be lives ruined and paranoia? What about all the families in Canada and even the United States with pipes in their backyards! Then again we American will get thousands of barrels a day. Cousin Louis is always complaining about fuel prices. This XL pipeline can shut him up (laughs then pauses to think) It’s too much to decide! What if the final vote comes to me! (grabs face and looks nervously) What will I do? Also, since most of my family is from Houston what if the pipe goes through my grandma’s yard! She would kill me if she knew I helped the process of getting that thing in the back of her house! Oh my gosh and imagine the embarrassment at the family reunion! Well, I can simply ask for Mr. Obama to move her out. But as for everyone else… (shakes head in despair) Just imagine if the pipes burst. That would be so tragic. Hopefully we make the right decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBEP3mkAZno (here is a link to my performed monologue)