Story of me.

ARTIST’S STATEMENT After reading Trevor Noah's book I was inspired to write my story because he stated in his book that, “he really never knew where he belonged”, and that's really how I felt because it's never easy to walk into a school and find friends that you know are your friends at least for a moment. Every school I went to I never felt as though I belonged even though I made “friends”, I never felt like I belonged with them. He explored his sense of identity, in my point of view by having peace with his past because it helped make him who he is today and maybe one day I would be about to do the same because you never know what someone's past looks like. I feel like Trevor's writing helped me be more humorous in my point of view because even though I feel like I do somewhat good at writing, I think I’m a little of a try hard and Trevor's writing just showed me to let my words flow. A storytelling technique that I had/tried using is to be more humorous and let my words just flow. Yes I choose to use humor just like Trevor Noah because I didn’t want my story to feel boring because I didn’t want my life to seem that boring. It was a change that I wanted to try and I think I kind of used it in a way that I wanted to. Where I didn’t feel like I was forcing it. I explained the culture of always being the new kid as in always moving from school to school, I explained that it’s hard not just going to one school it’s way better because everytime I went to a new school I felt like I had to start a whole new life because no one stand in my last one.

Q2 Benchmark

Jabree Brown (Student 2024)
Jabree Brown

I really liked your story because I never experienced moving from one state to another or going to a new school until now, so reading your story gave me insight into how people handle leaving.