Taming of Love at First Sight

Taming of Love at First Sight

A Comparison Between “Taming of the Shrew” and “Love, Actually”

As the play “Taming of the Shrew” by William Shakespeare proves, the idea of romantic love at first sight has been around for centuries. Petruchio decides to pursue Katherine Minola, a woman who is undesirable to other men in the play. Petruchio wants Katherine despite the fact that they do not know each other. The 2003 movie, “Love, Actually”, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, David, instantly develops feelings after meeting his new assistant, Natalie. She is seen as unattractive to most people, but David is smitten by Natalie.

Although Petruchio and David share the same tactics in winning over their women, they differ in the their motives. The plot in “Taming of the Shrew”, is that Baptista Minola decides his youngest daughter, Bianca, cannot marry until his eldest daughter, Katherine, is married first. Petruchio decides to take this as a challenge to tame Katherine even though he does not know her. He also mentions he prefers wealthy women, which applies to Katherine. His reveals his tactic is to give Katherine endless affection despite her displeasure with him.  In “Love, Actually”, David meets his assistant, Natalie, on his first day and instantly develops feelings for her. His instinct is to treat Natalie with respect and kindness but with intent to know her better. These texts show audiences that romantic love at first sight is only decided by physical attraction or intent for another desire.

Petruchio:

Signor Hortensio, ‘twixt such friends as we

Few words suffice; and therefore, if thou know

One rich enough to be Petruchio’s wife—

As wealth is burden of my wooing dance—

Be she as foul as was Florentius’ love,

As old as Sibyl, and as curst and shrewd

As Socrates’ Xanthippe or a worse,

She moves me not—or not removes at least

Affection’s edge in me, were she as rough

As are the swelling Adriatic seas.

I come to wive it wealthily in Padua;

If wealthily, then happily in Padua.

(Act 1. Scene 2. Lines 62–73.)

In this scene, Petruchio is describing to his friend, Hortensio, and servant, Grumio, his carelessness for the substance of the girl he will marry. Petruchio says “As curst and shrewd, As Socrates’ Xanthippe” and “Be she as foul as Florentius’ love”. Socrates had a wife, Xanthippe, that was abusive. Florent was a knight that was forced to marry an old woman. Petruchio uses two undesirable women to prove that he is negligent in finding a suitable wife that would fit most men's desires. Petruchio is only worried about finding a wealthy women, no other factors matter. Katherine, Petruchio’s soon to be love interest, belongs to a prosperous family. Petruchio does not need to know Katherine to know that he will pursue her. Her wealthy background draws him in already. Love is not the desire for money. This helps confirm that the idea of “love at first sight” is not actually love, just a desire for one’s attributes.

Screenshot 2017-04-19 at 8.34.17 PM.png

Screenshot 2017-04-19 at 8.34.37 PM.png

This scene in “Love, Actually” is a conversation between David and his other assistant, Annie. He asks if she knows Natalie, and she replies as remembering her as the “chubby girl”. Struck by this observation, David asks if she really is chubby. She replies with a rude comment and he simply shrugs it off, but the audience can see from David’s facial reaction and response, that he disagrees with Annie’s statement. Like Petruchio, David wants the “undesirable” woman. Annie voices an offensive comment which can give the audience the feeling that in this movie’s world, Natalie would be the woman most men wouldn’t want because of her physical appearance. David doesn’t care about anyone else’s opinion; he believes Natalie is attractive. This infers that David immediately fell for Natalie’s appearances because he does not know much about her life. Attraction should not be mistaken for love.The audience can see here that love at first sight is can be based on one person’s longing for another’s physical appearance.

Petruchio:

And woo her with some spirit when she comes.

Say that she rail; why then I’ll tell her plain

She sings as sweetly as a nightingale.

Say that she frown; I’ll say she looks as clear

As morning roses newly wash'd with dew.

Say she be mute and will not speak a word;

Then I’ll commend her volubility,

And say she uttereth piercing eloquence.

If she do bid me pack, I’ll give her thanks,

As though she bid me stay by her a week.

(Act 2. Scene 1. Lines 177-186.)

This scene in “The Taming of the Shrew” Petruchio reveals his tactic to win over Katherine. He says that he will give her endless affection no matter what her response. Katherine is known to be a woman with a “scolding tongue”, so Petruchio is declaring that he will counteract this in hopes to hopefully tame Katherine. He will “woo her with some spirit”, something Katherine lacks. Petruchio’s tactic to win Katherine is simply a front. He has never met Katherine before this moment, so he decides on marrying her for the intent of money. Only a wealthy woman will bring Petruchio joy, so he will do everything in his power to do so. Petruchio’s act will give Katherine the impression that Petruchio is truly interested in her despite the fact that they are strangers. Petruchio’s love at first sight isn’t love, only the desire for her money. The reader is able to observe here that love at first sight is the initial need for one’s attributes.

Screenshot 2017-04-19 at 10.11.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2017-04-19 at 10.13.18 PM.png

Screenshot 2017-04-19 at 10.09.36 PM.png

This “Love, Actually” scene depicts David’s instincts in caring for Natalie. He leaves the President of the United States in his office for a moment as Natalie walks in. He returns to find the President on Natalie, who is uncomfortable. The next scene is a press conference with the President and David. David uses the press conference as a subliminal warning to President and a message to Natalie to show her he cares for her. Natalie and the audience are given the impression that David has strong feelings for Natalie, even though they have only recently met and David is Natalie’s boss. Like Petruchio, David is showing he cares. Before this scene, David and Natalie were still only associates in the workplace. This public warning and unknown display of affection caused controversy over a girl he barely knows. The audience can conclude that David’s feelings for Natalie have only been decided on because of her looks, which is not love at first sight.

“Love at first sight” has been branded in Hollywood to romanticize relationships that are brought on by physical attraction. In the real world, most relationships thrive on a deep knowledge of each other. Audiences are given “love at first sight” moments to draw them deeper into the plot. In the end, David reveals his love for Natalie and finds that her feelings are mutual. Petruchio’s tactic works, and Katherine no longer possesses a “scolding tongue”. She has been tamed, which means Petruchio will wed her. Each of the men in these texts decide to pursue women they barely know. Romantic love is affection shared between people. Sexual attraction is attraction towards someone who is visually appealing. Love and attraction should not be confused as it happens in these two texts.

Works Cited

“Love, Actually” (2003)

“The Taming of the Shrew” by William Shakespeare (1594)

Gil Rosen (Student 2018)
Gil Rosen

I thought that this comparison is spot on. I can tell that you put a lot of hard work into this piece. It stinks that Netflix ruined your last screenshot. Otherwise, your piece was great. Comparing the movie to the play was really well done and thought overall that it was a great piece. Great job!

Siani Davis (Student 2018)
Siani Davis

This is a movie I never heard of before but now I am interested in watching it. You did a great job comparing the play to this movie. Your layout was very smooth flowing too.