Tech Today - Maddi Etxebeste

Maddi Etxebeste
- Silver Stream - English 2

“Tech Today”

I don’t know if it’s your case, but I love listening to music and I’m 90% of the time with my earphones listening my songs. I usually have discussions and arguments with my mom, because she sees that I’m with my earphones 24/7 and says that it’s like I didn’t care about the things that are around me. And, well, this can be true, sometimes I put my earphones on to relax and I don’t see what is happening next to me. It’s a way to “disconnect” from the real world for me. That’s the reason why my mom blames many tasks that I don’t do while I’m on the mobile phone.

And all this made me think about, nowadays, it’s like we, teenagers, are addicted to the mobiles phones,PCs, and to all the technology in general. We have “grown up” with them. When I went out with friends, when we finished bored, we all take our mobile phones and try to see if there’s activity in any social media to entertain ourselves. For example, when we’re in a fast-food restaurant and we’re waiting for what we ordered, we’re always using our cell phones, chatting with someone, seeing photos on Instagram, videos on Snapchat, answers and questions on Ask.Fm, etc.

First, I thought mainly in teenagers and young people, you know, but in big cities adults behave in the same way (although it could be because they are business men/women). In addition, technology evolves faster each time, so we want to have the new thing. When we were young we saw the first real mobiles phones, these Nokias, the first generation of “famous” Apple products, Samsung Galaxies , and all this old mobile phones which in those years were the bests of the bests, and that now they’re all old and worn out. What will we become in the future? If we have been got used to all this “new” technologies, how will we be later? If now we’re attached with all this stuff, in the future we won’t interact with the people, we will text them even if they’re next to us; what kind of disaster would it be? Because actually, when someone loses his phone is like if he lost all. Will the humanity, our humanity, disappear? We’ll meet by video-call… What will happen if finally technology invades all the fields that actually exist? No jobs, no income, no food; or maybe, all would be free? We can’t make the people change their personality, so we’ll keep from being addicted to our electronic devices so much.

And I talk about this as a testimony, because I think that most of the teenagers panic when we don’t find our phones. First phones only served for calling and texting, but now, we have Internet social nets, stupid but entertaining apps, the calendar, clock, voice recorder, camera, weather, calculator, note recorder, music, practically all in our cell phones, without needing a TV, a PC or an iPad. Summarizing, we have all in our devices. Anyways, I prefer going out with my friends in the center of Irun, meeting people face to face, asking to friends “hey! If someone wants we’ll be at SJ square at 5 pm, everyone that wants to come can come!” and then walking in the town and see a known face (it happens often) and say “hi! How is it going? See you later!”. I really don’t know what will happen in the future, but our situation can’t change. We are who we are and our being is unique and cannot change easily. In my opinion I just have to accept the reality and that finally all this new technology is winning importance and is invading us, little by little, even if we don’t notice it, even if we think that all this stuff is kinda normal and ordinary thing nowadays.

Ayala Silverman (Student 2019)
Ayala Silverman

I agree with what you had to say about technology pretty much running our lives. Your point about our uses for technology becoming a norm reflects not just teenagers, but society as a whole. I liked how you gave examples of different phones and apps that sort of kickstarted technology being used everywhere.

Sofia Powers (Student 2019)
Sofia Powers

I really relate to your issues in the beginning of the essay about seeking technology all of the time and loved when you asked the reader questions as a part of your reflection. I think it was great that you really involved the audience as you thought about issues that this world does now and might experience.

Gregory Tasik (Student 2019)
Gregory Tasik

Hey Maddi, I really like your essay. It got me to think a lot about technology and your scenes really reflected some of the scenes I have in my personal life. I love your one paragraph where you introduced a lot of questions and made the reader really think. I believe this pushed your essay really well. I do think there are some grammatical errors, but otherwise, Great Job !

Alex Lee Chan (Student 2019)
Alex Lee Chan

I really agree what you said in the essay, I have the same problem too, but less discussions and arguments with my mom. When I want to listen to the music, I always use my earphone in one side or use a speaker, so I can hear what my mum said. Do the problem that you have are getting worse, or getting better? It's for your own good.