Teila's 2010 Election Day Interview

​Today I traveled to the poles around 3pm with my mother. When I got there a fellow neighbor was there and I decided to interview him because he seemed to be the easiest candidate to have time to sit with.

Questions:
1. What motivated you to come out and vote?
I'm one of the committee people and I'm a pole watcher, plus I think it's an important duty as a citizen. Democracy functions with voters. Without voters where's no democracy.

2. Do you know why we vote on Tuesday?
I learned in school but I forgot.
(After I started telling him the story he began to remember)

3. Are you always sure of who you are going to vote for when you walk into the booth or are you still deliberating?
I'm always sure. I'm a very political person

4. Did you learn about voting in school? If yes, did that impact your willingness to vote today?
In my civics classes, yes. I became more political the older I became. I grew up in the 60s so protesting and things like that were big. My grandfather took me to the March on Washington so listening to Martin Luther King speak and Mahalia Jackson sing was a moving experience. So childhood things moved me to be more political as well as things that happened when i was older.

5. What would you like to see changed in our political system?
I would like to see lobbyists eliminated from governmental processes. I'd also like to see voting to be a more flexible entity. Still keep Tuesday as the voting day. I'd like to see technology used in a safe and secure way in the voting process so people with disabilties could get out and vote. Anything that's necessary to get voters out. Maybe be able to have a way for people to tell if they'll be out of the country on voting day and provide a process for that.
Screen shot 2010-11-02 at 9.28.19 PM
Screen shot 2010-11-02 at 9.28.19 PM