The "Authority Figure" Effect

Randy Le

Ms. Pahomov

English 2

26 March 2019

The “Authority Figure” Effect

How do people act with the knowledge of there being no authority figure observing them? In any group of children, it is inferred that some may act in an inappropriate manner when a matured figure leaves the scene. More specifically, children tend to get a sense that responsibility is brushed off their shoulders when an authority figure is not present but the moment authority is established again, responsibility becomes a motive to become more civilized. When people are observed by an authority figure, their thought process and actions gravitate towards a state of civility. In contrast, the absence of an authority figure pushes people into a place where they lack self control.

In William Golding's Lord of the Flies, different scenarios are brought up that illustrate components of human ideology and behavior. From the beginning, a group of boys are stranded on an island with no adults around. In turn, this creates a gap where the boys transition from civilized to savage, under the knowledge that an authority figure is not observing them. One of the boys, Piggy, says “What are we? Humans? Or animals? Or savages? What's grownups going to think? Going off--hunting pigs--letting fires out--and now!” (Golding 91). This shows the awareness that there is no longer an authority figure to be obedient towards. Building off of that, there is an establishment of fear in Piggy’s voice which sparks the transition from civility to savagery. Piggy notices that the boys are rather living based off their primal instincts and are devolving into savages. Without there being an authority figure, the boys have already changed their line of thoughts and structured their own community apart from the moral-based civilization with an authority figure. Piggy seems to comprehend the dangers of the primal acts but has no say in such a nonfunctional community.

In primary school, students wish for the day that a substitute teacher takes the role of their actual teacher. The desire to be in a learning environment is lost as this gives the students opportunities to misbehave. Sammy Kayes was a substitute for more than three years and in his years of being a substitute teacher, he conducted his own research of why some students may behave differently around substitutes. Through a process of asking teachers (including substitutes), Kayes was able to get an answer of students desiring to “get away” with their tasks but most importantly, their responsibilities. Responsibility comes through as a hidden theme throughout his experience and Kayes states “My initial theory was that students are trying to “get away from” whatever they’re doing. I actually wanted to be wrong.” From here, a conclusion was drawn that classes with substitute teachers behave poorly because of the fact that students would prefer to do something else. Kayes goes further to notice that the problem is more of a systematic problem rather than a problem on the teachers. In a community where behavior varies so vividly, a clear problem can be seen that may pertain more towards the people than the ones teaching.

Towards the end of the novel, the boys, who have been engulfed by savagery, target Ralph who had desired a society structured by law and order. Before the savagery could take over and possibly end Ralph, a Naval officer arrives, causing the boys to stop. They begin to cry and notice their actions throughout the story. Just from the presence of an authority figure, the boys were able to fade away from their untamed thoughts and notice the wrong acts they have done. Elaborating, the Navy officer stated “I should have thought that a pack of British boys一you’re all British, aren’t you?一would have been able to put up a better show than that一I mean一” (Golding 201-202) which criticized the behavior by saying they should have been organized and enlightened as should the British were (who were civilized). In addition, the sudden pause of action is enough to determine the impact an authority figure has on a community. The boys were able to recognize their actions and stop any more violence from occurring which shows the importance of an authority figure.

In comparison, students in a classroom may have different reactions when subsubtites are present versus when they are not. Returning to Sammy Kayes, he says “What I noticed was that every day, in almost every class, students would cheer and dance that I was there instead of their regular teacher. Students loved having a substitute teacher. They really wanted to get away, so much that it was a celebration when they finally could.” His line of thought correlates with the idea that there is some type of relief when no authority figure is present. In addition, he presents the idea of the students “getting away” by leaning towards an ideology of not only taking responsibility but distancing themselves from it. All in all, the process of becoming uncivilized accordingly to the absence of an authority figure becomes a prominent theme even when taking a look through the lens of a substitute teacher.

Taking everything into account, the absence of a authority figure shifts the behavior of human beings from civilized to more or less, savage. Glancing at the transformation of the boys, the readers can see how the absence of an authority figure can take a pivotal role in the behavior of humans. The boys ,who were previously classified as civil, became more like savages which connects with the “substitute teacher effect” when students would behave differently around substitutes. In addition, Sammy Kayes and his story as a substitute teacher further elaborates the definitive truth behind authority coupled with human beings. Ultimately, this proves that people will act differently upon the knowledge of an authority figure observing them. Whether it be performing a task or presenting yourself to the public, the large message is that people will act in a civilized manner when an authority figure is present but will act in a savage manner when the authority figure is no longer present.

Works Cited

Bodenner, Chris. “When Students Physically Dominate a Sub.” The Atlantic, Atlantic Media Company, 26 Sept. 2016, www.theatlantic.com/notes/2016/09/substitutes/501227/.

Golding, William. Lord of the Flies. Penguin Books, 2006.

Kayes, Sammy, and Sammy Kayes. “The ‘Substitute Teacher’ Effect.” Student Voices, Student Voices, 12 Feb. 2017, mystudentvoices.com/the-substitute-teacher-effect-adc1a4a801c0.