The Bird Talk

The Bird Talk

Taj: We have recently finished Maya Angelou’s first autobiography.

Nasir: Today we have a lot to discuss about “I Know Why the Caged Bird sings.”

Karima: We have recently finished the first autobiography by Maya Angelou.

Taj: So how did you all like the book

Karima: I honestly loved the book, because I’m just the type of person that loves books that are based on true stories.

Taj: Nasir?

Nasir: I read this book in 8th at first I thought it was good but I wasn’t really interested in it but reading it a second time and understanding the book more I actually started to really like it and I understood everything that was going on in her life. Not only she talked about her life but she talked about society back then and what it meant for her to be black during a time where racism occured.

Taj: I think it was a very well written book. I would recommend it to anyone who likes these types of books, but this is not my type of book. I enjoy fantasy and dystopian future writing. So I did not enjoy the book very much. I have no problems with the book it is just not my prefered genre.

Taj: What do you think the themes of the book are?

Nasir: I think the themes of the book were to always be who you are and racism. I think the theme always be yourself was a theme in the book because maya couldn’t figure what she was as a person. She always questioned things about her like her sexuality and and her womanhood. But going towards the end of the book she figures out who she is. The other theme, racism, was in the book because in the book she talked about a lot about racism.

Taj: I think the themes are growing up and racism. The theme of growing up is very relatable to me. Since I am only a few years away from being an adult and soon I will have to mature and prepare for adulthood. Maya discusses the problems with her and her brother growing up. I may have some of these problems growing up. When it comes to racism I have only encountered one racist person in my life, but I am bound to encounter more. So I can learn from her mistakes.

Karima:I think one of the themes is to just be who you are no matter what, and also like Taj and Nasir said Racism was a big part of it as well, it was one of the main themes. I can’t really relate on racism, but I can kinda relate to the not being myself back in elementary school I moved to the U.S and I didn’t really know any English or anything like that and my where I came from was really really different so I always tried to be like the other girls and I always just tried to fit in with them, I changed how I dressed how I talk and everything.

Taj: Compare society from her life to society today.

Nasir: Life in society back in her day wasn’t as good as today even there are some dark spots in today society. I’ll say society during her time was so crucial because there were a lot of lynchings happening and segregation was on big thing that happened back then. Now if you look at society today it got a little better but it gets worse with mass incarceration and young black kids dying. But, I’ll say back then was worse than what is happening today  

Karima: I think one big part that’s the same from both Society is boys taking advantage of teen girls, like reaping them and stuff like that, Another thing is racism racism is still going on in today society. 43 `

Taj: Maya’s society was completely different than today’s. In Maya’s time racist were much more of a problem than they are today. Same with sexists. Both problems still exist today, but on a much smaller scale. In Maya’s society any questions that she had she had to ask her parents or guardians, but in today’s society everything can be found on the internet. Maya would have never talked to her mom about being a hermaphrodite if she could have googled the answer.

Taj: Any other questions today?

Karima: No

Nasir: No

Taj: Ok then. Goodbye goodbye goodbye from the bird talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVaZVsmLpyI&t=3s