The Break Up

It had the air of an awkward breakup. ​I expected outrage, or anger as I told my boss that I was quitting. For most, It's probably not a big deal, but this was my first real job and she had gone through great lengths to accommodate my schedule. It was particularly bad because one food runner had just taken a month off, and the company was only left with 2 others. A company, that which, without food runners, would not be able to function. But instead she looked at me with incredibly soft eyes and said "I'm sorry I need you to work." I was quitting in part because of the unpredictability of my schedule. Over the next month I have a barrage of college trips, vacations and birthdays, and I refuse to put this job over my life. I'm at a time now where school is the most important and these college trips will determine the rest of my life. Also, I have about another 4 months before the friends that I have enjoyed throughout my time in high school become a distant memory, and I am forced to explore the social obligations of college. I got firm with my boss, while retaining my apologetic tone and said "I'm sorry.. I just can't." I thought for sure this would anger her but again, she maintained those soft eyes and disappointed voice and just said "That's not nice." and walked away.