The Double Standard

When you first meet someone you think wow he’s really cute, or OMG he has a great personality and he’s tall (that's always a bonus). All the great characteristics run through your mind at you in an instant. You see him in the hallway every day, you’ll walk right past him. Yet you don’t speak because of the nervousness you have when he’s around. Then one day you would of never thought you’d be the one asking him out.

Mike is a senior, who’s going to be graduating at the end of this year.. Lauren is only a sophomore so she doesn’t know what to expect as the new school year begins.  When Lauren first met Mike it was one of those awkward moments, like really awkward. Like being the only person who was wearing pink to a all with party. She was dancing in the gym and he just so happen to catch her in the act. Lauren was dancing and without her noticing Mike walked passed the gym window and stopped. He looked right at her, there Lauren was dancing with friends. Mike then walked in the doorway of the gym. Gazing upon who ever else was in the gym then focusing on Lauren. Mike says “ damn that was good!” with a smirk on his face. She reacted as any other girl would, she was embarrassed. “ You seen all of that?! ” she asked, he replied yes. At once everyone starts laughing to kill the awkward moment. Then one by one Gabriela, Faith, Asmera & Jordan all friends of Lauren’s greeted Mike with a hi and a hug. When it was Lauren’s turn to speak she approach him in hesitation, unknowing what he would say. Yet she gave him a hug and all he couldn’t stop thinking about her dancing.

The next day Mike & a friend were sitting on the hallway ledge. Lauren walked into the doorway and there went Mike. As his eyes followed her the curvy shape of her body, he smiled as she turned the corner. That same day they ran into each other in the hallway, this time Lauren was with Faith & Jordan. Mike was bold and asked her for a hug and she approached him with opened arms. As he released her from his arms so she could walk back to class, he said aloud down the hallway “ this my boo and y’all don’t even know it!” Her faced changed from a smirk to a big grin as she walked back to class. However Lauren was already talking to someone that went to a different school named Jeremy. Jeremy and Lauren went to middle school together so it was a mutual feeling. Jeremy started talking to Lauren in the middle of July early August. Mike & Lauren began to get to know each other. They would say hi to each other in school & even half late night facetime calls. To the point where everyday they would fall asleep and wake up and still be on facetime.  Mike even began to pick up on details about Lauren here and there. Like her body language and her facial expressions.

However Mike was well aware that she was talking to Jeremy. Jeremy had a inconsistency when it came to communication. He had such a busy schedule during a weekday and the weekends, so it was hard for them to even see each other. Mike on the other hand would give her the time of day any day of the week. Mike would hold conversations about Jeremy even when he felt uncomfortable because he had not yet told Lauren that he liked her. November came and they became good friends. Sending cute goodmorning & goodnight texts messages,  When things would get sketchy between Jeremy & Lauren, Lauren would be frustrated. She would get to the point where she wanted to just vent. Sure enough Mike was there to listen to her hardships, and her complaints. Even if it meant the thought of her being so broken that she wouldn’t trust a boy ever again. He got to the point where Mike couldn’t hold it in any longer, he had to tell Lauren how he felt.

One day they were on facetime and Lauren brought up the question “do you like me ? ”. Mike was hesitant to tell her how he really felt but, he tried to brush off the question. He avoided the question and kept the conversation going. A month went passed and Lauren had developed feelings for Mike. Mike was so nervous to tell Lauren how he felt, that he would of never thought that she liked him. In his mind they were just close friends. Really really close friends. That same week Lauren pulled Mike over to the side and said “will you go on a date with me?” His face lite up in excitement. Mike was almost hesitant to answer because  Mike was surprised that Lauren “liked liked” him. “Yes, I’d loved to” he said with a grin on his face. That day they went to the park. Mike leading the way he said “Let’s sit over here”, “Okay” Lauren said. “I have a question”

“okay, go ahead and ask away “ said Lauren

“Do you think its weird for a girl to ask a guy out on a date, instead of the guy asking?”

“ NO! Not at all. You ?”

In response Mike said “ No, but I was trying to tell the guys that, but they seem to not listen. “

“I don’t see what the problem is. If a girl wants to ask a guy out instead of the guy, I say good for her because then that lets you know that she is really interested. That’s a total double standard people expect for a guy to ask a girl.“ Lauren explained.

“ Back in the day the man was obligated because he is like the alpha. However today’s generation, the tables turn because women are in equal power just like men so anything is possible” said Mike.

“Well I’m glad we had this conversation. This date was really cute, maybe we should do it again?”

“ For sure, Next Tuesday ?”

“Okay”

As they walk away from the park together holding hands, they both leave with a better understanding of the double standard rule.