The Eye of the Tiger

https://www.wevideo.com/view/2922104033
d2oaw3p-fcd7e7a7-96c9-447b-a139-2afa3e203ded

This week we are discussing the “White Tiger” through the Marxists lens. We talked about Balram and his journey through the business world.

Nick -

“Marxism in India.” Taylor & Francis, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00472337485390621?journalCode=rjoc20.

As said in the article Marxism has been an active intellectual force in India for over 50 years. Throughout “The White Tiger” We get glimpses of it as Balram progresses the life of a business man. He starts of works in a tea shop and works his way up by uses murder as his number one tatic. Marxism is “characterizes as the philosophy revolutionary social action, the activities of the Marxists as thinkers organizers.”

Sun-Ra -

Butt, Shaehroz Anjum, and Zarina Qasim. “Rise by Sin or Fall by Virtue: A Marxist Study of Class Consciousness in The White Tiger, and How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia.” Journals.uop.edu.pk, 2021, http://journals.uop.edu.pk/papers/3(19).pdf.

The Article “Rise by Sin or Fall by Virtue: A Marxist Study of Class Consciousness in The White Tiger, and How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia” illustrates the divide between the rich and poor in Adiga’s White Tiger by using the Marxist lens. The authors highlight how the main character, Balram, segregates people based on their social status, “Balram learns that the rich are able to digest everything and everyone who comes in their path while the poor owing to their lack of desire for material possessions remain helpless in the capitalist jungle.”(Page 7). This provides additional insight into both the novel and the Marxist lens because it analyzes Balram’s division of society based on other characters’ income.

Nat -

University, Perdue. “Georg Lukács – ‘the Ideology of Modernism’ (1962).” Taste to Waste, Perdue, 23 Feb. 2012, https://tastetowaste.wordpress.com/2012/02/23/georg-lukacs-the-ideology-of-modernism-1962/#:~:text=A%20very%20compelling%20critique%20of,the%20form%20of%20social%20protest Links to an external site..

This article summarizes Lukacs’ points about modernism, and because the article was written in 2012 it does offer some potential to compare the two eras. I wish it did more compare and contrast rather than just summarizing key points he made, however, I noticed a lot of articles regarding Lukacs’ work seemed to summarize rather than analyze. The article talks about how Lukacs’ gets so in depth with his analysis that he “manages to overshoot its mark and reveal Lukács own allegiance to art…” This suggests that Lukacs’ own bias is shown through his work and his arguments, even if he has a legitimate point.

Monica Acciavatti (Student 2023)
Monica Acciavatti

I like the overall discussion of social class but also class in itself and how the characters interact in these classes in society. All members bounce off of one another's ideas very effortlessly but also as an outside perspective I am able to understand and even related to some of the ideas presented in the discussion from this book despite never previously reading it

Jave Kelman (Student 2023)
Jave Kelman

I liked how you showed the main character's motives by looking at the book through the Marxist lens. You didn't just talk about how the lens changes the way you see the book but how it affects how the characters act.

Devin Hang (Student 2023)
Devin Hang

I appreciate how you use the Marxist lens and how it changes the narration of the story. How money relates to social class and how it affects the character's mindset. I appreciate how you talk about being rich in the story and reference rich people in real life and how they also act.

Synai Harris (Student 2023)
Synai Harris

The conversation and reflection of what was read flowed well. The way you all were able to flow off of each other made the conversation much better and easy to understand.

Raymond Boles (Student 2023)
Raymond Boles

I love the quote you use. I love how you guys reflect on how landlords control most of the wealth and how that even things like marriage are used for financial gain. Servants being loyal while the higher classes will do anything to stay on top is always an interesting discussion.

Katrina McKinnon (Student 2023)
Katrina McKinnon

The conversation flowed really nice. It was kind of hard to hear other people clearly. Referring back to certain points in the book made your claim stronger. Including your personal feelings it’s really good cause it helped me see your point of view.

Samira Pope (Student 2023)
Samira Pope

I like how y'all connected all of your ideas to one other, I see the efforts that y'all are making to ensure that the point is being made. Y'all also did a good job by showing status even though we did not read the book yet and we don't know the characters but I can really tell how the poor was treated.

Samira Pope (Student 2023)
Samira Pope

Jennifer Nguyen (Student 2023)
Jennifer Nguyen

The podcast went well in terms of how well the conversation went, and how the flow of the podcast went. You guys did a great way of bouncing off of one another ideas and feelings towards the text you guys read of the book so far. I also liked the music in the beginning.