The Grand Budapest

The Grand Budapest Hotel and Wes Anderson as an auteur revolve around the beauty, wonder, and imaginative potential contained with art.

The plot and structure of The Grand Budapest Hotel are defined by fast pace, adventure, and mystery stories. From the fast plot changes, shifts in perspective, and dramatic escalation of the film, the plot forms a winding maze. Within the first five minutes, we transition from the women paying respects at a graveyard to the deceased author to his self, story and finally to the story told within that by Mr. Mustapha. These elements don’t have a specific meaning or commentary, instead of cementing the surface-level structure of the movie by disorienting the reader. As the movie progresses, this theme is only amplified. The highly choreographed movement of the waiters, symmetrical perfection present in each set, and frequent shifts in time maintain the illusion of a storybook illusion.

As well as having a structure that supports a feeling of unreality, the characters are equally artificial. Mr. Gustave, for example, is full of extremes. He is a hyper-competent concierge who takes great pride in his work, charming and surrounded by admirers, extravagant yet profoundly lonely. Such a polarized character makes his flaws of overconfidence and surface interaction obvious and allows the story to flow more efficiently than if there were more neutral characters. Even more, Mr. Gustave is used as a commentary on Wes Anderson himself. By having an extravagant and obsessive character that mirrors Anderson’s attitude, he is poking fun at the frivolity of his movies but also embracing that fact and demonstrating its intentionality.

In The Grand Budapest Hotel, color and ornate sets give the movie a whimsical, storybook style highlighting the incredible but distinct from the reality of the visuals. In nearly every scene, there is a highly intricate set that makes use of ornate details and highlights symmetrical framing. There are frequent time skips throughout the movie. These are supported with different coloration and a changing of aspect ratio, with scenes further in the past becoming progressively narrow and scenes in the present winding. This creates a semi-conscious metal separation between the many threads of the story. Finally, we see the whimsicality peak through a stop motion chase scene, truly hammering in the imaginative nature of the film by completely switching styles without regard for inconsistencies. 

Another separation from reality occurs with the war happening in the background of the story. Instead of using the obvious connection to World War Two, Anderson creates a fake and much less terrible version of the war with an almost comical presentation. When Zero and Mr. Gustave train is stopped by soldiers instead of a bloody take over, there is a comical fight between Mr. Gustave and the soldiers before Henkel saves them. By limiting the severity and violence of the war within the world of The Grand Budapest Hotel, the attention is taken away from it and allowed to focus on the central narrative of Zero. Having the focus remain on the fanciful plot allows The Grand Budapest to stay story without the sharp edges ever-present in reality. 

Ironically the lack of a greater message is a commentary in itself. Anderson seeks to show that the need for deeper meaning is frequently over-exaggerated, causing us to lose the ability for short-term, surface-level enjoyment of a marvelous story. The Grand Budapest Hotel is an art not to promote a narrative but is for the sake of art. It is the beauty inherent within the intricacy of the ridges and folds of a maple leaf or the motion of a fire blazing. Simply wonderful because of enjoyment derived from seeing something wonderful and amazing. A primary reason for human success is this ability to continuously search for meaning, a group who seeks to understand will naturally obtain greater understanding than one that stagnates, but this evolutionary urge can lead to circular over analyzation detracting from the joy present in the world at large. On the largest scale, happiness is not made happy because it comments on sadness, but for the simple fact that happiness is inherent; happy.