The Matrix

I am a human.  I am an advocate.

I am the type of person whose personality traits may seem to contradict, but end up working together in the end.  I am a soft-spoken person, but I will defend my opinions very tirelessly and meticulously. My will is strong once I have decided, and my actions are filled with imagination and creativity, but I always try to keep my expectations tempered and logical.  I am one of those people who see the bigger picture, the matrix of how the system works together.

Most prominently, I am a decisive person.  Once I have made up my mind on what I want to do, I will be dedicated to doing it.  It’s like an airplane taking off. Once it has reached velocity, it is committed to the takeoff, there is no stopping it in time.  In my life, this shows up in my career choice, which is in aerospace engineering. I decided almost 3 years ago that I wanted to work in aerospace, and I have meticulously inched myself closer and closer to that goal.  

I am a person in which it can be hard for people to understand my reasoning behind my logic.  It is of course very important for me to understand the bigger picture of an entire system. I am a big lover of thought experiments as it helps me sharpen my skills with such understanding of a bigger picture, the complex matrix of how everything goes together.  All it takes is a systematic approach to reaching an understanding of the topic. It’s like Sudoku, piecing the clues together and eliminating red flags.

I am also a deep thinker kind of person where I am quick to come up with ideas, but I often take a lot of time to temper and explain to myself the logic behind my ideas and also how realistic they might be.  This is a sort of double edged sword as in one hand, it helps me to articulate my words better, but as a downside, it makes the process of talking/writing in general take longer.

In conclusion, my skill set is one in which time is at the utmost value.  It takes time to think through my own logic, and it’s that time that I stand to lose in the long run.  Time itself is very important for being accomplished. How much time you have and how you manage it is the very way that dictates what is possible in that time.  It sounds easy but is actually very hard because in the end, wasting things is easier than saving them.

Matthew Nguyen 09-27-18