The Misrepresentation Of Muslim Women in the Media

On my l[ast slate post] (https://scienceleadership.org/blog/misrepresentation_of_muslim_women_in_the_media) the misrepresentation of muslim women in the media, I have learned many new things on my issue. Muslim women have been the main target of “representation” when it comes to adding a muslim charter to a show and they shove all these negative stereotypes and display them on television, as if its normal. Muslim women have been given such an unfair outlook on their appearance [(hijab)] ( https://www.google.com/search?q=hijab&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS943US944&oq=hijab&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j0i433l3j0j0i433j0j0i457j0i433.4239j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8) the religion they follow (being oppressed/terrorist) To raise awareness of my topic, I have reached out to social media and news blogs to bet their thoughts and options on this. As media platforms that many people follow, how are they trying to fix this? One media platform that i contacted was [MuslimGirl] (https://muslimgirl.com/) , an organization that is full of muslim women to empower them and others around them. I have emailed them but sadly have not received an email back. I have taken matters sito my own hands and decided to post about my topic on my own instagram page and hear what the public had to say. I made a google form and also interview some of my muslim women mutuals on instagram. Two of them decided to stay anonymous and the other decided to share theory name and school. This was a big highlight to the project because i wanted the project to have the voices of muslim women speaking up. I could easily sit here and write on why this ain’t right at all but other voices added to mine makes everything more powerful. In order to change these ways, is to do research., simple. To satop with the negative stereotype and to actually dive in and do research on muslim women. Wight Islam being the fastest growing religion at the moment, it should be hard for movie directors or bloggers to do some research and let their research on muslims be from muslims themselves, especially if its on muslim women. I wanted to pursue bringing this topic more into the light and to have people take it more seriously. Over the years muslim women have been seen as oppressed, we are not pressed by Islam we are oppressed by the negative stereotypes that the media has created for us. I wanted my Agent of Change to be something that would give this topic more exposure. Many women empowerment groups have spoken about this but they only get spoken about for a week then forgotten. My experience when doing this project was really interesting. My original idea was to email MuslimGirl and set up an interview with them but I sadly didn’t get an email back. I later made a presentation that I linked to an article I wrote. I was able to have it published in our school advisory memo! I also posted about it on my Instagram and many people saw it I was effective in making change by doing the first step: giving the problem or topic exposure. Making sure people knew that this was a problem shouldn’t be normalized. I knew stopping film industries from doing this harm would take A LOT of work so I took the first step, which is also a huge step. I felt very happy doing this project because I am very passionate when it comes to the rights of muslim women or women in general ( especially WOC). I feel like iot s aspace where i know what i am talking about and know how to get it done I learned from others that they feel as if speaking on big topics like this won’t change nothing burn from seeing all the nreposting i have done on my social media platforms, they have decided to finally share their thoughts and opinions which is helping this project, so they are also making a change! I learned about myself that I have a lot to say on this topic and could easily use my own opinions but I decided to listen to others and get their thoughts.I feel like I could have presented this much better. Originally this was supposed to be an advisory presentation but I was irresponsible and kept forgetting to ask and it was too late, but I found a way to make it work. What’s left now is to eliminate the negative stereotypes of muslim women in the media and listen to their voices instead of trusting anything you see or hear. We have voices that need to be heard.

IMG-1195
IMG-1195
IMG-1194
IMG-1194
IMG-1193
IMG-1193
Mira Young a junior at SLA replied with this under my story!

(Mira Young a junior at SLA replied with this under my story)