The Pipeline Monologue Project

The Keystone Pipeline from TransCanada that soon might be confirmed to built. Everyone has different opinions and emotions on this topic ad agreement. We have two parties about this oil pipeline. The people who think it's a great idea to have it here in our country, and the people who think this is a completely horrible idea. Here are my three monologues I've written as a solo. 

In this project, we were assigned to complete final drafts of monologues us as students written and created our selves. The topic has to be about the Keystone pipeline and express different opinions in different monologues in which ever way you feel like writing about it. 

From working on this project, I've learned that my passion isn't political science and I don't think I will ever major that in college in the future. All jokes aside now... I actually learned about knowing what the Keystone Pipeline is. I never heard anything about this oil pipeline until Mr. Block introduced this topic to us as a history project. I never even wrote a monologue before. So this project has taught me how to write a monologue. 

Here are my three polished monologues I present: 

Title: The Cranky Old Lady 

(A reporter knocks on a small house with a brown door, an old lady answers before opening the door)

Who the hell is it?! 

Ma’am, we just want to ask you a few questions on the Keystone Pipeline. It’d be nice if you cooperate with us. I promise this won’t take any more than five minutes. 

Jesus Christ. 

(Opens the door)

Hi Ma’am, I am just a reporter, call me John. Here’s the question, and you’re gonna answer it and I’ll record it. This is just for my newspaper company making a new issue and having articles about what people from our community think about this pipeline.

Make it quick, I’m tired. 

Yes, Ma’am. Okay, how do you feel about this Keystone Pipeline that is going to be built? You can be completely honest. Also, do you mind if I record your response?

Go ahead, youngster. Let me know when the freakin’ camera starts.

Yes, right now. 3, 2, 1, ACTION!

(Coughing) 

I ain’t playing with this damn pipeline. 

(Voice gets really raspy) 

I completely disagree with this pipeline. It has very negative environmental impact. I’m not trying to get my grandchildren killed. I have a 5 year old grandson and he has asthma. I do not want anything making that worse. The air is going to be toxic and dirty for him. In fact, we all gon’ die!

(Starts to speak even louder

What if it worsens his asthma? What if the pipeline cracks then it’s like a repeat of the oil spill?  Ain’t nobody got the budget to clean that mess up. We’re already struggling enough. It is also going to affect social justice if the pipeline breaks. Ain’t nobody got time for this. 

(Take her cane and starts banging it on the floor)

We could be using all that money invested on to this stupid keystone pipeline onto the green house project. It’s better use of money. We’re only hurting our earth. We’ve got 8 planets and this is the only one we can live on.

Title: The Letters

So is everyone settled? 

(Everyone gathering around a table and sitting down in a chair)

Yes, (Fiddling with papers)

Yes, 

Let me get my letter out, gimme’ a sec. (Fiddling inside a folder) 

Alright. (says the person in front of the table)

(Pulls out a piece of paper) Okay, I’m ready. 

Let’s start. Who wants to go first and  read their letters that we’re going to send to TransCanada? (says the person standing in front of the table)

(Raises hand) I’ll go! (a young man who looks like he is in his 30’s, wearing a white dress shirt, a black long tie and grey dress pants.

Okay, read loud and clear. (says the person in front of the table)

(Stands up, clears throat) 

“I am a biology teacher that is currently teaching ninth graders. I personally disagree on building the keystone pipeline, I think this idea is just madness. I teach all the ninth graders in my school and I love each and every one of them from the bottom of my heart. I am not just a teacher, I am also their caregiver and someone they can go to if home is disappointing them or letting them down. As a caregiver also for a generation of children in my area, I do not wish to fail my priorities. And failing one of my priorities is letting the keystone pipeline be built. 

My logic is all proved and based on the science behind this pipeline. For example, what’s it made out of and the cons. The pipeline is made out of metallugy and welding. Hydrogen is the first element on the periodic table. Hydrogen can migrate solid steel when the temperature is warm. When the steel cools, the hydrogen can get stuck and it’ll make the pipeline crack. Don’t forget, too much pressure weighed on the steel will make it crack.”

The end (Sits down in chair)

(Everyone claps)

Title: Passing By

(Climbs on top of a statue near by in front of city hall)

LISTEN, EVERYBODY. JUST LISTEN UP. Did yah’ll hear about the crazy Keystone Pipeline idea that they wanna be killin’ our earth. This is where we live. Although I ain’t got no home and money, I’m already starving to death. I don’t want to die from shit filled toxic air! That is trifling. Besides spending 5 million dollars on some nasty oil pipeline, spend it on the homeless citizens! Look at me, I don’t care what none of yah’ll say but honestly, the last time I had a real meal was two weeks ago and I was lucky enough to happen to find half a cheesesteak in the trash can nearby here. Although I never got an education, the amount of money that we’re spending on this pipeline is completely ridiculous. Can I get an AMEN?! 

(Realizes no one is even paying attention so slowly comes off the statue and mopes away)

Appendix: 6 things that stood out to me and key points - 

- This pipeline goes over our second largest water source

- Obama has denied to build this, but he has a few months until the final answer is actually approved and announced.

- The tar sand takes a VERY long and big process to clean in order for us to use the oil.

- Chemical spills are at high risks

- Able to create more job opportunities 

- Mitt Romney said he would approve this pipeline if he were the president. 

Bibliography:

Tar Sand Blockade, "Over 50 Enter Tree Blockade in Defiance of Police Repression to Defend Tree-Sitters." Last modified October 15, 2012. Accessed October 15, 2012. http://tarsandsblockade.org.

Trans Canada , "Keystone XL Project ." Last modified October 15, 2012. Accessed October 15, 2012. http://www.transcanada.com/keystone.html.

Walker , Bill. Friends of the Earth , "Tar Sands." Last modified October 9, 2012. Accessed October 15, 2012. http://www.foe.org/projects/climate-and-energy/tar-sands.

Nikiforuk , Andrew. The Tyee, " Pipeline Whistleblower: Cracks in The System." Last modified October 1, 2012. Accessed October 15, 2012. http://thetyee.ca/News/2012/10/01/Cracks-In-Pipeline-System/.

Skit acted out video "The Letters": Click to watch!