The Proposal to the Shrew

The Proposal to the Shrew

“The Taming of the Shrew” and “The Proposal”

As “The Taming of the Shrew” provides an example of deceptions within relationships within the 16th century. In the play, Petruchio sets to marry Katherine and doing so tames her to become something she isn’t. In “The Proposal”, the main character, Andrew, gets forced into a marriage that was for the benefit of his boss. This caused him to take control of the fake engagement. In both stories, the participants in both relationships fall in love.

Although Petruchio and Andrew chose to tame their finances, their reason of cause are quite different. Petruchio wanted Katherine to be a good wife. When he first met her, he knew of her inappropriate demeanor. Since then, he wanted her to mature into a wife to suit his needs as a husband and also to be in control of her. Andrew’s case is different from Petruchio. Andrew was forced into a marriage by Margaret due to her being deported. Once he found out, he knew he needed to set some ground rules in the “relationship” so he can get the things he want in return. These pieces reflect on how relationships accept deception throughout centuries, and because of this, relationships are only for control of the other party.

Earlier in this scene, Margaret, the editor of a big publishing company, was notified that she was being deported for going to an event in Frankford but having limited access with her visa. She had to think of a way of getting out of it. Her assistant, Andrew, approaches her about a client and that is when she comes up with an idea. She is going to marry Andrew so she can get a green card and be able to retain her job as editor. Her bosses were concerned that the marriage wasn’t real. That’s when she said, “We are two people who were not meant to fall in love, but we did.” Unlike Lucentio who sets out to marry Bianca by misleading her and everyone with disguises, Margaret puts herself and Andrew into a legal situation.

PETRUCHIO-

Be patient, gentlemen. I choose her for myself. If she and I be pleased, what's that to you? 'Tis bargained 'twixt us twain, being alone, That she shall still be curst in company. I tell you, 'tis incredible to believe How much she loves me. O, the kindest Kate! (2,1,321-326)

Petruchio is telling everyone that he and Katherine are getting married. Katherine in this time does not know it. She never agreed to marrying Petruchio. What actually happened is that Petruchio went to Baptista, Katherine’s father to arrange the marriage. He is the one who agreed upon the two to get married. This relates to “The Proposal” by Margaret arranging their marriage purely based upon the reason of her visa being revoked and having to go back to Canada. She later tells Andrew, but it is still deception within the relationship. Relating to each other, Petruchio is taking control in the relationship by starting the relationship with Katherine and Margaret is starts to control the relationship when she notifies her boss about it. The only difference is that Andrew finds out about the relationship and he takes control of it due to being unhappy about the incident.

HORTENSIO-

I promised we would be contributors And bear his charging of wooing whatsoe'er.

GREMIO-

And so we will, provided that he win her. (1,2,218-220)

Gremio and Hortensio are suitors trying to win over Katherine for her hand in marriage. While discussing being their potential husband, the two talk among themselves about how this marriage is just a business transaction. They realized that it is a whole scheme for her father the whole time. Back in that century, the father and son-in-law made the deals about the marriage without the daughter being involved. However, knowing this information, both Gremio and Hortensio want to pursue Katherine for themselves. In today’s world, the marriage isn’t determined by the parents in most places. However, in the proposal, Margaret was getting control over Andrew by making him marry her.

She was never intending to marry Andrew but things changed once she heard about her deportation. Since her deportation was severe, she is only doing this because she gets to retain her position as an editor at a big publisher company in New York. For Margaret to get Andrew to officially marry her, she would have to give him things he always wanted. Well threaten him with those things at least. In the screenshot above, this was Margaret asking Andrew to officially marry her because it was to his request as was other many things. Margaret was the one in control of the whole relationship, until Andrew backfired at her. He did not want to partake at all in this but ended up being the one in control. Throughout the film, Andrew deceives Margaret and treats her like she is worthless in his home to teach her to become a better human since she is a terrible person.

KATHERINE

Of all thy suitors, here I charge thee tell

Whom thou lov'st best. See thou dissemble not. (2,1,8-9)

When Bianca noticed that Katherine wanted her suitors but didn’t give much of a reaction to when she told Katherine no, it is clear that Katherine did not want to partake in a marriage at all. When Katherine does end up marrying Petruchio, it is clear to the audience that the whole marriage was a scheme and that Petruchio had all the control in the relationship. Katherine became mistreated by him, but he claims it was going to be good for her in the end. This is his way of taming her. Katherine is obviously stuck in the relationship, but when she does speak her mind throughout the book while being already married, Petruchio tells everyone that she is just going a little crazy and should ignore her. Somehow, everyone believes in Petruchio and ignores what happens. Petruchio is all in control and there is nothing to hide from it. It is seen to be clear to everyone. This relates back to the film. While arriving in Andrew’s hometown, he is greeted with a welcoming party. Little does everyone know, that are “engaged”.

During the party, everyone is asking their relationship. Both Margaret and Andrew get nervous because they are not actually getting married. Andrew takes dominance in the situation and tells everyone how it all happened. When Margaret tries to tell her point of view, Andrew cuts in and changes it. Andrew is trying to control Margaret and preventing her from being herself. Andrew doesn’t like the way she acts, so to fix her up, he needs to start the process at his welcoming party. He is showing dominance in the relationship and making her do what he says. Of course there is backlash, but he tames her to not give any more. Andrew relates to Petruchio in this way and likes to show dominance. Dominance is a big factor for these characters to be in control of their relationships.

Deception in relationships have been around for centuries upon centuries. In “The Taming of the Shrew” Petruchio compares to Andrew from “The Proposal” because of their alike attributes on wanting to be in control of relationships. They both support evidence for the only reason in being a relationship is for being in control of it. Having power in relationship shows dominance and that is what they both strive for in their own ways.

The Proposal. Dir. Anne Fletcher. Perf. Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock. Touchstone, 2009.

Shakespeare, William, G. R. Hibbard, and Margaret Jane Kidnie. The taming of the shrew. UK: Penguin , 2015. Print.

Olivia Cooper (Student 2018)
Olivia Cooper

I really liked the analysis of the film. We have somewhat of the same thesis and I only extended mine to that of Petruchio but I really like how you applied yours to the entire play.

Madison Militello (Student 2018)
Madison Militello

This had really thorough analysis. This helped me to realize another side of romance I wouldn't have considered before. You described your thesis very well and looked through all aspects.

Siani Davis (Student 2018)
Siani Davis

I really enjoyed reading your essay. I love this movie!, and I like the thesis you chose to use to compare this and the play. You did a great job of actually arguing this thesis.