The Punishment of the people

Annotated Bibliography: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13wTzYcJCdMGtSsozTe1VAUYwjLW3z1r577zruis1Vrw/edit?usp=sharing

One of the many problems plaguing America today is Police Brutality. In the year 2017 1,147 people were killed by police officers in the U.S. statistically speaking the races most affected by police brutality are Caucasians with 392 African Americans with 191 and Hispanics with 159. There are many possible reasons for police brutality such as inadequate training and beliefs on how others should be treated.Image result for police brutality pictures

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/US-New-Years-Eve-Protests-in-Chicago-Against-Police-Brutality-20151231-0028.html

Did you know for every 1000 that are killed by police officers 1 officer is convicted of a crime.The Washington Post and Bowling Green University published a vividly thorough informative study about police officers who have killed people in the United States since 2005. The study found that among the thousands who have killed at the hands of cops since that year, only 54 officers have been charged. The Post reported that most officers were cleared or acquitted in the resolved cases. Police brutality not only affects those in the moment of the situation, but the families affected by what can be a horrible moment. Police Brutality is not a new problem that is starting to impact society Police Brutality has progressed for over 53 years and has only continued to get worst. Many stories you have all seen or heard of about police brutality could have all been prevented. In my day to day life I leave the house everyday not in fear, but in caution and in disappointment the men and women who are supposed to live by the motto to protect and serve do the complete opposite, the horrible actions committed by the officers are alienating us from them which makes a bad environment for you and me.

Image result for Police Brutality

By Africa Jackson on July 9, 2016 / @AfricaJwrites /  Like the Tempest

Police Brutality happens everyday in the year 2017 2% of Police brutality in America was in Pennsylvania, That in total is 23 on December 28 Isaiah Christian Green was killed at the age of 20 for gun possession, On December 27 Dennis Plowden was shot after being stopped by police while driving his car. What I am trying to say is while compared to the other 49 states whose numbers of murders related to Police Brutality are higher than the state of Pennsylvania they all could have been prevented. After the number of shootings happening all around America former United States President Barack Obama said during a press conference, ¨This is not just a black issue. It’s not just an Hispanic issue. This is an American issue that we should all care about, all fair- minded people should be concerned.¨ I want to end this with what could be done to prevent the high number of people killed by police brutality which is rather high. To prevent another horrible death we as a whole have to confront our past as a united people to learn what has to change, some things in life your able to sweep under the rug but this is something that we will one day have to face. Moving on from this I hope you all never forget the many people we sadly lost, We all have to remember to take care of ourselves and others Thanks for reading.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/policing/2017/05/12/how-dismantle-racism-and-prevent-police-brutality/101481438/

Antonia Solar (Student 2021)
Antonia Solar

Your post was written really well and you did a really good job of finding and including your sources. Next, I think that you could talk to someone who works in the police department or to a family member of someone who was a victim of police brutality.