The Sexual Wellbeing of Our Youth (Original Research)

In my first blog post, I discussed the lack of sex education on a national level, as well as within the city of Philadelphia. I also talked about what could happen to a teenager if precautions are not taken before sex. Pregnancy, STDs, STIs, and other issues can occur when the necessary precautions are not taken before sexual activity. I talked about our country has a really high rate of teen pregnancy, and that our city has a pretty high amount of STDs. Since that initial post, I have learned much more about this topic, thanks to a primary source.

I conducted an interview to contribute to my own research. I interviewed SLA’s health teacher, Pia Martin. During our short interview, she brought up multiple excellent points that I have never even thought of. She explained that teens with depression or low self esteem were likely to engage in dangerous sexual activity. She also explained that drug use was a huge issue with teens, and said that it contributed to the STD statistics for teens. I looked into this claim, and found multiple sources that explained that drug use increased the chance of STDs.

The new information gathered from my interview added to my pre-obtained knowledge by providing great insight that could be translated to new information to cite, and widened my own perspective of the topic of safe sex among teenagers. In terms of personal opinions, I think that although it’s irresponsible to have a child or engage in sexual behavior (without protection), it’s a problem that’s bigger than the child itself, and more can and should be done to prevent it from happening. I still believe that it is essential to provide a decent sex education to ensure the safe future of teenagers. I also think that the idea that mental illness is involved with this issue brings a whole new dynamic to what needs to be done. We should also be concerned of the mental wellbeing of our teens! It should be a no-brainer, but obviously, there still needs to be change.

For my ‘agent of change’, I wish to design and distribute posters. I would ideally put them inside the school, and around the city. On the poster, I would put some scary statistic in bolded red, such as “Scary STD kills 2000 kids a second.” (something like this). This would be an interesting endeavor because not only would I have to compile information that could be useful for the poster, I would have to design the poster in such a way that would attract people walking by.

ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY

Image result for teen smoking] Teen substance abuse can increase your chance of STDs, and even teen pregnancy;