The Universal Box: Television in America, J.Pullins

Click above to watch the documentary in full.

The topic in which I chose to explore with my National History Day project was both the American television industry, and television itself. I chose this topic as it is one that both excites and interests me immensely. Also, I believe that since its inception to now, television, like no other invention, as went from simply a social fad enjoyed by the rich to an essential and necessary part of life, capable of providing vital facets in daily life. Since its invention and rise to popularity, television has paralleled the trajectory of American history itself.

With the the sources and tools available, I believed that the greatest way of presenting this to an audience was using a documentary. I believe that not only will it allow me to utilize my sources, but also providing an interesting parallel to television itself, as the art form of documentaries, just like television, is a visual medium. The greatest challenge was creating a piece that not only did justice to the original work, but was also not a mere republication of the original work either. It was very important to me that this documentary was a cinematic adaption of the original paper, and not simply the original paper in visual form.

If you would like to see my process paper in full, as well as my annotated bibliography, click here.