This I Believe: Harry Potter

I spent my mornings in second grade sitting in line reading Harry Potter. I had just moved to Philadelphia and had no friends. I would sit and read getting sucked into the story until the sounds of kids shouting and footballs being thrown would disappear and be replaced with the beating of owl wings and the chorus of voices in the great hall. I was an only child, going to a brand new school. So Harry Potter became my friend, and then more and more book characters began to come into my life to make me see things in a new light, to let me into their stories so I could see everything they were going through. I would often get in trouble for reading under my desk that year. 

This thirst for books never died, I still spend most nights reading. When I am really sad or need to escape the world I grab a book and let myself slip from reality into this land of magic, or maybe into the ocean, or I can even explore the future. In the time that I am reading the book though I am free from the things that weigh me down daily. I can thank Harry Potter for that, for being there when I needed him and still being here when I want to go back to Hogwarts.

As I was in the theater with my mother surrounded by other Harry Potter nerds, watching the final movie I cried, I actually did not stop crying until I got homem because to me Harry Potter had always been there, had been my friend had been my first exploration of a world different from our own. Harry Potter had opened up my love for reading, and as I watched the last movie I could not help but feel like I was growing up and leaving my childhood behind me. 

I believe in Harry Potter