This I believe; My Dear Cioci Stella

​I believe that influences from other people play a big part on who you are today. Who you knew or know and spend a lot of time with will unintentionally leave a little bit of themselves with you. When I was younger, my great great aunt Stella was still alive. She was what made my Christmas most enjoyable. Sure I would get excited for all my presents but I would be most excited to watch her open up her presents and watch her smile. After the Christmas was over at my grandmother's house, I would sleep over my aunt Stella's house. She was 95 years old when she passed away and I remember her last Christmas. She would wait for everyone else to open their gifts, then slowly open hers. She loved puzzle book and music boxes. She got the same things for Christmas ever year but was still so happy looking at all of the gifts that were simple and cheap, but so meaningful to her. Christmas was not about who spent the most or who got the expensive gifts, it was about the thoughtfulness and just happiness of being together and smiling. My family loved to watch aunt Stella smile and talk because she was always so happy. Christmas was her favorite holiday and she always told us stories about growing up during the great depression and how when her sisters were bad, her mother would put orange peels in their stockings. These Christmas stories and her presence was what brought me joy on Christmas. We would also crochet together after dinner and continue our conversations. Aunt Stella was so happy all of the time and made me appreciate the little things in life that sometimes, we don't notice. She made me realize that Christmas is not all about gifts or spending, it was about spending time with family and enjoying each other's company. I'm so glad that I can remembrer her last Christmas with us because I can still see her smiling, sitting on her little blue rocking chair watching everyone open up their gifts. Aunt Stella taught me many life lessons that I will never forget, I will cherish the memory of her for the rest of my life.