TimeSkippers Podcast - Episode #2

Welcome to our 2nd Episode of Time Skippers!

In this episode, we are introduced to two characters’ stories which will be revised through the feminist lenses. Stay tuned as Diana, Abi, Katelyn, and Luccas discuss their opinions on religion, class, race, and feminism.

https://youtu.be/7ia4Zxp4mOw

Time Skippers
Time Skippers

Katelyn

“Popular Peasant Feminism: We Have a New World to Build in Our Hands.” Popular Peasant Feminism: We Have a New World to Build in Our Hands, 17 Mar. 2022, capiremov.org/en/analysis/popular-peasant-feminism.

Popular peasant feminism is a proposition that changes the reality of inequality in which we live. For rural women, this relationship with nature and Mother Earth is fundamental. Plays a major role in building food sovereignty through agroecology. In La Via Campesina, they are comprehending our history and realizing how it contributes to changing the reality of women in rural areas. They are working to fight violence, because in the rural world, day after day, violence escalates against women. This relates to our book because our book ties gender stereotypes and racism together in a village that they live in while they try to find their identity.

Abi

“Objectification towards Female Characters in Yaa Gyasi’s Homegoing.” Repository.unair.ac.id,

This article was an analysis of the Patriarchy that is present in the book and the tragedies that result from it. It provides additional insight into the book through the analysis of the patriarchy and how it affected the characters of the book. For example, Effia was objectified because of her beauty, and because of such objectification is sold (like a commodity) to the white man that she is forced into marrying. The insight that this source provides in the feminist lens also relates to their breakdown of the patriarchy like in this quote: “Meanwhile, in the story, male characters are seemingly being demanded not to be weak. Male characters in this story are portrayed as great if they involved in women slavery, rape, and even polygamous marriage.” This quote shows the conditions of the society that they live in that make life hard for the women.

Diana

Saungweme, Furaha Joy Sekai. A Critique of Africa’s Post-Colonial Freedoms Through a Feminist Lens: Challenging Patriarchy and Assessing the Gains, 7 July 2021.

While looking for articles to discuss in our book club, I stumbled upon a website that publishes articles. Specifically, the organization is in Africa, which ties in perfectly with the book we are reading. In their ‘About Us’, they state “supported and promoted the consolidation of democracy, human rights, gender justice, ecological justice and constructive dialogue in the Southern African region.” The article, it focuses on how colonization in Africa has affected and created the power struggles that currently affect several African women today. The article focuses on a specific lens that critics and also use a way to analyze the historic importance.

Luccas

Miller, Laura. “A Sprawling Epic of Africa and America.” The New Yorker, 23 May 2016, https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/05/30/yaa-gyasis-homegoing.

This article explained some parts of the book telling the reader how the book is a collection of stories from different family members and time periods as opposed to traditional stories which feature a main character and a time period. Through the feminist lens, the article says that “Unlike the Biblical transgression, however, the source of the curse that dogs an Asante woman’s descendants through seven generations defies pinpointing and straightforward assessments of blame; you might as well shun your own hand.” which suggests that women are to blame for everything that happened with the family which is not true. Things happened because of colonialism and corrupt leadership.

Kylie Vong (Student 2023)
Kylie Vong

Great intro a lot of emotion. The audio quality is great easy to hear everyone. The conversation flowed naturally which is great didn't feel like scripted which helps with emersion with the book. There's great communication between everyone great contributions from each other god the flow is so nice. Very comprehensible. No monotone voice which is great no one wants to listen to dry conversation.

Sarahi Franco-Morales (Student 2023)
Sarahi Franco-Morales

Loved the start, it definitely broke the ice! I love that this seemed like a natural conversation. It flowed from person to person really well and that was pleasant to listen to. I love how each of you added to the ideas, it was a very balanced podcast; there wasn't just one person talking.

Michael Rojas-Sandoval (Student 2023)
Michael Rojas-Sandoval

The skippers podcast. I like the way this podcast is formatted, you guys really bring in a lot of energy which makes the podcast more interesting to listen to. For this part 2 it was really well informative and all of you guys participated really well and gave your own piece of mind.

Jalen Bowman-Whitaker (Student 2023)
Jalen Bowman-Whitaker

I love the energy in this podcast. Right off the bat, I think the listeners can just feed off of the energy. I also think the conversation flows very smoothly between the group and they bounce off of each others' ideas well.

Rylee McMillan (Student 2023)
Rylee McMillan

The audio quality is so clear! I really enjoyed listening to this podcast and your last one as well. The way you all structured the podcast made it flow very naturally, the conversation wasn’t just one person talking for minutes at a time. Each member of the podcast constantly building off each other showed great knowledge of the book. Great job!