Upgrade Your Status

Kennedy Fields

Ms. Pahomov

English 2

4 April 2018

Imagine someone is meeting another at a party, and that person has a meaningful discussion. That someone becomes very social and comfortable speaking to them, saying whatever they please. Now imagine the same person going to the party in a police uniform. Does this change how that person would act? Would that person become more mindful of what they’re saying? Talking to someone with higher power and authority, influences people on what to say-- and count on physical aspects to show us who has that power. When society’s status symbols aren’t physically with someone, it changes the dynamic between the two becoming arbitrary. Being entitled to status symbols, or honorary items has the ability to upgrade someone's role in status.

In the novel, Lord of the Flies, by William Golding, a group of young boys crash land on a remote island with no adults. They battled to survive on this island and needed to designate someone as chief. The leader, Ralph, has a right hand man, Piggy, who gives smart, meaningful ways to advance them in survival. After the crash, the two meet and discovers a conch on the beach. Piggy explains that the conch can be used as a way to call others by blowing into it. After more boys join them, they establish a rule for everyone to follow: whoever holds the conch has the right, and authority to speak, no one else. The conch symbolizes power.

When seeing an officer in uniform in badge, the natural instinct given is to act accordingly, drawing no negative attention or showing the fear of  being cuffed. Holding a badge shows power because it’s a representation of an officers job in protecting law, and no one is to be superior to the law. Fifty-one year old, Louis Arcila, was caught in a misfortunate event; groping a 30 year old woman. It was later discovered during investigations that Arcila was an off-duty police officer. The heinous crime was deplorable, leading to the press to follow the case. In the Long Island Newsday article by Bridget Murphy it says, “..defense attorney Joseph Lo Piccolo had contended Arcila wasn’t wearing his badge that night and never touched his accuser.” There was controversy over him wearing the badge. one side says he had it on the other disagrees. The crime remains the same, but what he was wearing matters all the more. Saying Arcila wasn’t wearing his badge declines his status in society. A responsibility that comes with an officer's badge is to protect others from wrongful crimes. The responsibility for the boys is to honor the rule that comes with the conch shell. Wearing or not of his badge in his crime had the ability to change his notability, and superiority in being an officer who holds power in enforcing the law.

In the novel Lord of the Flies, Ralph, the chief decides that the conch would be of great use to call and gather others. When he does, the reader is introduced to many of the other boys on the island, who came seeking to find the noise coming from the conch. Ralph, blowing the conch, formed a meeting to discuss the idea  of someone becoming the leader. On page 22 of The Lord of The Flies, William Golding wrote, “But there was a stillness about Ralph as he sat that marked him out: there was his size, and attractive appearance; and most obscurely, yet the most powerful, there was the conch.” (22) After the author describes Ralph in that moment it leads to the election of Ralph. The author gives the reader clue Ralph has become leader due to the “most obscurely, yet the most powerful conch.” Ralph was a highlighted because of appearance and size, but what really sold him in changing his status was the conch. The conch was used to unite the group of boys, which shows the power in the conch. Ralph goes from being a good looking boy in a group of lost boys to the leader due to a mysterious conch. His election to power was counted on a physical cue to the group.

A police badge today is a modern symbol of law enforcement. Wearing it on the job gives on significant power. Badges during the middle ages were worn by commoners and those noble, and during this time, power was not strong or prominent. The badges were to show ranking and nobility in the house or group. They weren’t even used to show a specific job or duty. Eventually, over time, it became a symbol for servants to use in households, that established their status role. Timothy Roufa, writer of History of the Police Badge says,” To the police officer, the badge represents the public trust, with which she has the authority to act and to which she has the duty to remain true.” Once an officer receives a badge after rigorous training, he is obligated to maintain a trustworthy environment for the public. This is similar to the Lord of the Flies, relating to the conch because once someone holds it they are obligated to respect the rule of only one person speaking. Respecting the rule is a way the young boys can remain true on island with one another, without it the “society” they’ve tried creating falls. When the conch is present between the boys it changes the dynamic between the two versus when it is not.

Immediately after Ralph is elected roles, rules and regulations are set. There’s Ralph the leader, and Jack Merridew the hunter. Jack was a candidate in the election of him and Ralph, but was not chosen. During the meeting many of the boys begun to all call things out desperate to be heard, leaving Ralph unpleased. He suggested using the process of hand raising as done in school, but then explained, ”I’ll give the conch to the next person to speak...and he won't be interrupted. Except by me.”(33) Similar to a badge the conch gives authority. When a boy has the conch in possession he is to perform a job, speaking. When a cop has a badge in possession he also embodies a performance, to protect. The boys become vulnerable without the conch because they can’t speak. Without it they’d have no voice in the larger picture. A police officer without a uniform and no badge is taking away authority when in the presence of another individual, because symbol and job is no longer present.

The conch throughout William Golding’s, Lord of the Flies gave the boys the utmost power on the island, only if it was in your possession. As for a police officer they reach maximum strength and power. Items that symbolize power and boost one's rank in society have become an arbitrary because it’s a random decision people make based upon an item.

Works Cited:

Murphy, Bridget. “Off-Duty Officer Found Guilty in Groping Case.” Newsday, Newsday, 24 Mar. 2018, www.newsday.com/long-island/crime/police-trial-groping-1.17632387.

Roufa, Timothy. “Find Out What the Police Badge Means and Why Officers Carry Them.” The Balance, 15 Nov. 2017, www.thebalance.com/why-do-police-officers-wear-badges-974606.

Monie Duong (Student 2020)
Monie Duong

I have learned that humans fea higher authority if it is presented correctly. If not, then the item itself becomes a jake and the status of the person will not be as strong and established if it were to be presented. I believe that this behavior can be avoided if everyone just learned how to respect each other no matter what. This would help everyone get along and then there would be no fear or hurting anyone's feelings.

Oluwatobiloba Adebayo (Student 2020)
Oluwatobiloba Adebayo

their status holds something in our society and also in the book. The symbol of status can equal power. Since we are so used to this and I don't think it is a bad thing I think it could be used in wheater we are using it for the right reasons.