US Immigration 1830-2000

Daniel Varnis (ME)
Danielle Little
Lexus Forman
Steven Webb

Click HERE to view our groups Keynote Presentation on US Immigration from 1830-2000.

With your blogpost, include your reflection related to:What surprised you most about this information?
The one thing that mostly surprised me about this information was that a majority of the immigration was caused by things that happened outside of the US. So there were more negative things out of the US, than positive things in the US causing people to migrate here.

What seemed quite obvious about explaining this data set?

The one thing that seemed most obvious about this data is that a majority of the immigrants decided to move out of there "homeland" because living situations weren't as fit as the US.

Looking at the overall trend and incorporating what you know about the US presently, predict and defend the immigration trend for the next two decades.

For the next two decades, I predict that the the immigration rates will most definitely rise dramatically, since it's been doing that for the past 50 years. They will also rise, because it seems like there are many bad events going on in other parts of the world (i.e. Middle East/Western World), that would give the immigrants to option and decision to move from there to the US.

Describe how you made a decision on how to visually represent the information.
The way that I formatted mine in the presentation is, the top shows the decade. Then under it, there is the number of immigrants, then how much they increased or decreased. Under that there is the "Push Factor", and some side-notes that go along, making it reasonable. I chose this layout, because at first, you see how immigration rates differ year to year, then under it will give a better understanding of why the immigration rate was changing the it was.

What parts of group work were challenging?
The most challenging part about group work is trying to stay in contact with each group member, trying to ensure the fact they complete the part that they were assigned. Collaboration is key in projects like this one.
What would you do differently if you had this project to do over?
To be completely honest, there is nothing I would do different if I did this project over. It seems like everything I did met the expectations I set for the final result.