Viet Le

Shrimp Fried Rice

List of ingredients

1 Egg

Half pound of shrimp - peeled and chopped to half inch pieces

Salt ( can be sea or store bought)

2 bowls of rice (This is the quantity of rice before you cook it.)

Mixed Vegetables( You can buy them in the freezer aisle or you can do it yourself) A half cup

Includes (but not limited to) peas, chopped green beans, diced carrots.

1 and ½ tablespoons of soy sauce

Dice onions (about 1 tablespoon)

Non-stick pans

This is going to serve about 4-6 people

First heat a pan of oil with ½ tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Cook the egg like a pancake, making sure to have the egg make a thin layer over the pan until almost set and then flip to the other side until set. Let the egg cool a bit and then cut into thin strips and then set it aside.

Heat a pan with 1 tablespoon of oil on high and stir fry the mixed vegetables until crisp and tender. Make sure to sprinkle a pinch of salt when stir frying. After finishing this also put it aside,

Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil on high heat, after that put dice onions in on the pan until about brown. (It should smell good by the end of this) After the onions are about brown put in the shrimp and add a pinch of salt and stir fry until golden brown. After finishing that put it aside.

Lastly you want to heat 1 tablespoon of oil over a large pan ( a large pan is needed when you’re going to mix all of the ingredients) After heating the oil you want to the onions on the pan until they are golden brown and then add the rice and stir fry the rice with about 2 teaspoons of soy sauce until warm throughout (This will take up to a maximum of 5 mins, might be less depending on the amount of rice and how warm it is before hand)

After stir frying the rice you want to mix everything together on the same pan you made the rice so that all the ingredients mix well together and are warm.

Serve and divide amongst bowls

Analysis:

Based on the estimate calorie count of each bowl(which is about 400) I’d say that the impact on someone’s health isn’t that bad. The total about of fat per serving is about 12g and about 20g of protein. Most of the ingredients aren’t processed besides the soy sauce and the mixed vegetables. The rest of the foods are fresh and shouldn’t really be processed at all. Environmentally this mean isn’t tasking on the environment as most of the food is grown and in the case of the shrimp caught. Depending on where you live you can either grown the vegetables on your own or catch the shrimp yourself. It doesn’t really take much to find these ingredients in your local supermarket because these ingredients aren’t really special. If you were to try to locate where certain ingredients came from you’d be able to find where the shrimp of the mixed vegetables pretty easily.  

If you were try to trace some of the ingredients to the source before it got to your bowl you would find that the shrimp probably came from somewhere like maine where fishing is a big thing, almost everything else on the list you would probably find most of that stuff grown on farm. Looking at the intermediate steps before it reaches your dinner table you could see that the shrimp is probably cleaned and made sure that it fits a certain standard before being packaged and sent out. That can also be said for most of the other things on the list.

Lastly, if we were to look at the cost efficiency of this meal it could cost you somewhere from 10 to 15 dollars.

Reflection

In this unit I learned about how a lot of our foods are made. Certain foods that we might think that are good for us are actually bad for us. I learned to now look at what I really eat. The food system isn't as linear as we think it is. There's a lot of different processes that our foods goes through before getting to us. I don’t think that as an individual I don’t affect the larger food system so much because I’m only one person. I think that the food manufactures don’t care as much because they know that the average person doesn’t really look into what’s actually in their food. I think that the problem with our food is that there’s not enough people that care enough about the food that the big companies will change their ways. There’s not much push for change because people don’t really know what’s in their food. 

Some changes that I could possibly make is that I could find foods that aren’t as processed as others, or in other words better for me. It wouldn’t be as difficult for me because I’m not a picky eater but it might be for other people because they might have a condition or if they live on a tight budget. Some of the impacts that this might cause is that people start becoming healthier. As an individual I am ready to make these changes because my family usually makes homemade meals for every meal of the day.