Violence in Schools-Lobby Assignment #1

1.     What are you lobbying for, against or to change? Explain the issue
o   I am lobbying against the increase of violence in Philadelphia Schools. Over the past years the violence in Philly schools have increased at a drastic level. This makes a lot of these schools an unsafe place for students; especially since majority of the students who commit this acts rarely get punished.

2.     Elaborate on your motivation for investigating and influencing public policy?
o   Education is the only real job of students, and if something as dumb as violence is getting in the way of that needs things need to be changed.  Philadelphia is a very diverse place to live, and the last thing we should do is commit acts of violence on our fellow Philadelphian. Another scary thing is that 5,207 5th-12th-grade students were criminal offenders.

3.     Who are the main supporters of your lobbying idea?
o   One supporter of this problem is Secretary of Education Gerald Zahorchak.

4.     Who are the main opponents of your lobbying idea?
o   Basically the main opponents of this problem are the schools that allow this violence to continue. The school principals and faculty who do nothing.

5.     Is there any pending legislation dealing with your lobbying idea? Explain. If there, is not, what would you like to see proposed. Elaborate.
o   There have been campaigns to “stop the violence” but no official legislations to reduce the violence in the schools. I propose that we face this problem head on, make the city turn this into a top priority. I really want to make Nutter see what’s going on in schools outside of Mastemann.  

6.     Any other information regarding the background for your topic.
o   So far I have a good amount of information, such as facts, and numbers but I don’t have much background information. So in my research I will begin to into the stem of this problem.
Where it all began? What are the main causes? Why do children feel the need to be so violence?