Vroeung Art Q4

Vichhay Roeung

Artist Statement #4

The fourth quarter is the shortest quarter of all. At the most there were only five assignments that had to be turned in this quarter. There was much that had to be done, perspective drawing, spaces, (negative), sculpture and photo edits. The first project was a sculpture; during that week I worked on building a mobile, a piece of art that was created by Alexander Clader in 1939. Mostly used as decoration and in nursery, the mobile focused on the aspects of equilibrium. When building it, I focused on the balance and irregular shape of the art piece. One side being a regular balance while the other is irregular, in the end it looks good, it balances and rotates.

The second art project was to take over two hundred photos and edit three of them. Being a good experience for a week as I went around taking random pictures of everything I see. Which it was fun as there were a lot to see in Philadelphia, many wonderful and strange things such as warning signs. The next piece was a bicycle drawing, where we had to do a negative space drawing, lines only, and then shading. Which what I should had done first was the lines then shading because I finished with the negative spaces, there were color marks that blended over to the lines side. This piece was by far a difficult task as there were many parts and small objects that had to be drawn and focused on.

For the famous art piece, I decided to copy an art piece created by Leonardo De Vinci. It is a sketch of the Siege Machine that De Vinci created and so forth I copied. Needless to say I captured most of the details that were vital, but since it was a sketch, the insides were the hardest to draw, as there were not much that could be seen. The final piece was a drawing from observation, which I did of a bench near my neighborhood. The drawing seems somewhat like a sketch but the details are truly captured and expressed in the drawing.

Compare and Contrast:

- The first picture is of a flower. I decided to do it that way because I wanted to focus on the beauty of the flower, thus I had like a lenses focusing on it. Burring the picture and making the flower shine.

- The second is that of trees near a park in South West Philadelphia. I decided to make it this way because at first it was just plain and normal, so instead I made it creepy and mysterious. Mainly because by changing it this way it became more exciting and dramatic, such as those in movies.

- The final ones were that of houses in a wide-open area. I brighten up the picture to show how wonderful I thought the area and scenery was.  

IMG_0343IMG_0343
IMG_0263IMG_0264
IMG_0243IMG_0243