Weekend Voting - Gabriel

Rebuttal Paper - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13041242/Final%20Rebuttal.pages

Group Page - https://sites.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/weekendvotingact/

• How did you group go about making a decision for what to focus on for the project?
    - Well after coming up with a few options (all equally good), we cut the ones we felt were reoccurring around the class, and went with the least popular option. That being extending the voting days to one day during the weekdays, to the weekend. After deciding, everything else went pretty smoothly. 
  • 11th grade Essential ? - What is the role of the individual in creating and sustaining change? 
    - In regards to the project, we all wanted to change the voting turnout to have more people in the United States. My position in this process was taking a good idea, and finding the flaws within it. Because if I didn't, other people would exploit it during conversations. With proper knowledge about the flaws with voting on the weekend, when someone else tries to find a flaw, we've already found a response for it.
  • How has your understanding of the electoral process and whether or not the US is a democracy evolved during this unit?
    - Absolutely. For my portion of the paper, I had a lot of percentage rates and population counts. And after finding exact numbers for voting turnouts for the past few years, I'm really disappointed with how we've been doing things. Where other countries have 98% turnouts, the United States is still struggling with a measly 29%. And after seeing that only 1/3 of the United States votes, it was pretty shocking.
  • How did you decide to best relay a message to a national audience with your marketing campaign?
    - I'm not necessarily sure if I'm answering this correctly, but within the final project we made it very "cheesy." It's still professional nonetheless, but the cheesy factor is clear. With information easy to understand with a funny little slogan, I have a feeling people would be interested after hearing about what we want changed.