What REALLY has value to it?

Materialism isn’t just trends, and the way you dress and look. If you really think about the main issues with materialism it isn’t just that material things don’t ACTUALLY make you happy, it’s that the advertisement world has created a gimmick of stereotypes for us to follow and look to as “beautiful” or “perfect” or “cool”. Those words define people in great ways, so of course! Why wouldn’t you want to be those things? The truth is, No material object can change who you are. And although it may influence how people see you it will never bring you full happiness if you don’t feel 100% like your self. In fact, these trends, and stereotypes, and things considered “attractive” and “cool” can lead people into depression. If an average sized girl sees her favorite clothes being worn by twig-thin models who skips meals on a daily basis, the chances are this could influence that girl to develop a dangerous habit like throwing up, or starving herself and that could lead to diseases like anorexia and bulimia.

Another thing that materialism is doing to the world is it’s physically HURTING our planet. Yes materialism has gone on for thousands of years, the wealthy Egyptians had decorative gold jewelry and pyramids sky-high. It’s the same concept through out history. A trend catches on, and consumers begin spending and spending. What this does, is it fills our homes with unnecessary amounts of clothing, or useless gadgets and machines and toys that really aren’t crucial to our lives and our survival. And all of these things we own took resources to make, have you ever thought about where all of these things go when we’re through with them? Landfills, trash, they are put into our earth.  They are put back into our planet as harmful worn out and sometimes toxic material. Just because I would rather have 10 pairs of shoes than 2, my planet is going to suffer.

Many people turn to materialism as an escape. They see it as their chance at renewal. A new look, a new phone, a new outfit, new make up, new video games. All these things we essentially don’t need, and that make us cooler amongst our groups of friends.  Studies have shown that people when thinking back had happier memories with material experiences (like going golfing, going to see a movie, or going to a concert etc.) than with memories of themselves buying something they really wanted.

I think that if I were to do something about materialism, it would have to start with the advertisement world. Stereotypes, or one sort of person should not be the only ones advertised. It’s okay to be who you are, and look the way you look and if we had confident people of all different sizes and colors and sexuality looking proud of who they are on billboards, and in commercials, I have a feeling people wouldn’t have the constant urge to make themselves someone else’s idea of perfect through materialism.

Next time I would like to look more into what people can do about materialism, how to get yourself out of the cycle of constantly spending and buying things you don’t need, and how I can spread the word.

Until next time!

Isabela.

resources :

http://www.cpyu.org/Page.aspx?id=76937

http://www.helium.com/items/386605-problems-of-materialism-and-consumerism-in-historical-perspective