Where I Belong

Artist Statement Trevor Noah’s memoir “Born A Crime'' inspired me to write this piece because of the events in his life. There was being treated as an outsider when he was at school and in other parts of his life. Even though he had some friends he didn’t fit in anywhere just like when he went to Maryvale H. A. Jack Primary school on page 44 of the pdf. There was a test needed to get in and Trevor scored high on it. After the test, he was in a class of white children and all the other races that weren’t black. But he didn’t want to be with these people, people he didn’t know. He would have rather been with his friends in the worst classes at the school than in the best classes with people he didn’t know. Trevor used this writing style in different ways, the one you mostly see is his comedy. I could have used this but I’m not funny, so went with something else. I saw that he used dialogue and what other people were like or what they were doing, I decided that I wanted to go with this. In my memoir, I describe what is going on around me and where I was and doing. I also use comparisons to what I think and how I feel about what is going on. I explain my culture to the audience as being there to understand it. It’s like a reference, if you never watched the show you couldn’t know what it means. I also try to explain in a way that I myself don’t understand my culture until at the end of the story. The culture of Hunter school where you have gone to Hunter school and know what it is like and know the people there too.

Where I Belong - Google Docs

Reese Covalle (Student 2024)
Reese Covalle

I really love this memoir. You are clearly speaking to the audience, but you have such a machure narration, showing that people are made of all different sides, not just one or two. Relationships are complicated, but going through something hard gives you this new perspective and makes you the person you are today, flaws and all, like any human.