Whipped into Shape

In “Taming of the Shrew”, it's a perfect portrayal of the fact that control itself has been a part of relationships for centuries However, men are always the controller in shown relationships, making women inferior. If the roles were reversed that would portray a different type of control.

50 Shades of Grey is about a sexually controlling man named Christian Grey, who is also a wealthy and successful billionaire who has never had a “committed” relationship, only several ‘friends with benefits’. He then falls into a relationship with Anastasia Steele, where he manipulates and controls her into being in a relationship with him.

Katherine and Anastasia actually have a lot in common. Their friend, or in the case of Katherine; their sister, is looked upon as the favorable woman, and guys are lured more to their sister/friend rather than themselves. Anastasia’s Friend, Kate is straightforward similar to Christian, and they would be a good match, but Christian wants to be in a relationship where he can control his significant other, exactly in the type of relationship Petruchio wants to be in; where he has complete control over Katherine.

Throughout the movie, Anastasia makes several references to her mother’s relationships, love life, and past husbands, and se would fall into the “Love at first sight” category, but is never in true love with any of her past four husbands. Ana’s mother could be similar to Katherine; in the fact that she’s had many past suitors but none of them could “tame the shrew” that is Anastasia’s mother.

In the scene above, Christian is being interviewed by Ana, who is filling in for Kate because she had something else to do. Ana asks a question about whether Christian Grey is gay, because it’s never been public that he’s been in a steady relationship that didn’t end after a one night stand. He responds with a short answer; and in a quick reply she asks “So you’re a control freak?”; and he respond with “Oh, I exercise control in all things, Miss Steele.” Christian shows an amount of control in both his life and the relationship; and throughout the movie demonstrates this control onto Ana. He manipulates and controls Ana into being his “perfect girlfriend”, both sexually and emotionally.

PETRUCHIO

I say it’s the moon.

KATHERINE

I know it is the moon.

PETRUCHIO

Nay, then you lie. It is the blessèd sun.

Act 4, Scene 5, Lines 18-20

Katherine is naturally snarky and repulsive to many men; but Petruchio has undergone the task to “tame” her. After starving her of food and sleep; he almost makes her comply to a false fact; that during the daytime it’s the moon and not the sun showing. Petruchio states that it was the moon, when it was really the sun shining. He used the fact that she was food deprived and sleep deprived; and he had the two things she really wanted, to control her. He uses his own advantages; not only because he is the male in the relationship but also because he has the two things she desperately needs, so she is forced to comply to his demand; so she is being controlled by him because of the things she needs.

Just like Anastasia in Fifty Shades of Grey, she’s being manipulated and controlled by the man in her life. Anastasia is being deprived of her own sexual needs, while Katherine is being deprived of her food and sleep. They are forced to comply to decisions they don’t want to be a part of; with Katherine it being whether it’s the sun or the moon; but with Anastasia it’s the fact that she was almost forced to experiment different forms of sex, such as BDSM.

In the scene above, Anastasia leaves Seattle, and Christian is being a clingy boyfriend, where he wants to be updated in what she’s doing and where she is 24/7, no matter the time. He’s also constantly updating himself about her life; and keeping her in check with her decisions with a constant presence in her life. A little later in the scene she tries to push away; but as to be expected Christain comes to her and reassures his dominance in the relationship, and forces his presence onto her; making him in control yet again through the movie.

PETRUCHIO

The fouler fortune mine, and there an end.

KATHERINE enters.

BAPTISTA

Now by my bolidam, here comes Katherina!

KATHERINE

What is your will,sir, that you send for me?

Act 5, Scene 2, Lines

In the scene above, Petruchio, Hortensio, and Lucentio are having a competition as to whom goes to their husband after being called upon. Both Bianca and the widow refused to come out to the husbands, but when Petruchio had called in Katherine; she came in. She had tried to disobey Petruchio’s orders earlier in the book, even in the example I had above where she had said he was wrong; but eventually she gave in.

Just like Katherine above, Anastasia had refused Christian's orders at first. However, after being constantly pressured just like Katherine was by Petruchio; Anastasia falls into Christian's orders and does what he pleases. Both Katherine and Anastasia were controlled, manipulated, and belittled by their husband figures in their life. They were abused by being deprived of the things they needed the most; in the case of Katherine it was food and sleep, and for Anastasia it was sex.

Both the movie 50 Shades of Grey, and also the book Taming of the Shrew; show portrayals on how control is a heavy influence on modern day relationships and past relationships, and still exhibits a heavy influence on how people act in life and in relationships. Both the movie and the play show that control is a huge factor in the dynamics of a romantic, or sexual; relationship.

Sopheary Sok (Student 2018)
Sopheary Sok

I don't think that my opinion on love and romance changed from reading your essay, but I was surprised to find out that there is more common ground between Fifty Shades and Taming of the Shrew than I initially thought. Your essay made me think deeper about control because one could argue that Anastasia was controlling Christian.