Who I Am Online Reflection, Lucien Hearn

Today in class we watched a video on bullying, created by the "I am a witness" campaign. This video, in my opinion, is stupid. Granted, I've never really been bullied in real life, people online have tried to bully me. Honestly, I don't understand why people care because whenever people try to insult me online, I just mess with them until they get really frustrated and give up. To me, this is hilarious, and all of those people are just morons. When people take these words to heart, I'm very confused, and I assume it's because they don't use the internet much. If you use the internet a lot, make any sort of content, play games, or really do anything online, after a week or two you learn what to take to heart and what not to. It gives you a thick skin, and you don't care anymore. This is the reason that when something "bad" happens to me, I just brush it off. If it happens to someone else, I'm confused if they're legitimately hurt, in a metaphorical sense. When you google my name, you get many results in images for boxers, after a few pictures of projects that I've made. Besides this, you see my Facebook and Google+ page. After this, you see nothing relating to me, and every name is different from mine. But to people that know me online, I just seem like a guy who likes video-games. People perceive me different based on how well they know me, as well as how they are discovering me. People will constantly talk about how "internet trolls" are malicious people who are psychopaths etc. They may be, however, usually they are just people who don't have anything to do, and so they use their time to just see others get angry, frothing at the mouth. Usually, people just ignore them and don't care, and someone who regularly uses the internet and is a part of the community knows how to spot one. The positive side of anonymity is that you can have privacy even online, and not everything you do or say needs to be seen by everyone. The negative side of anonymity is that sometimes, people can leave rude comments and won't have to deal with consequences. I'd like to end this post with one thing: you will not have more knowledge on a subject that someone who is at the core of that subject. I'm not saying that I'm the absolute expert, but you won't know exactly what happens if you only look at the information and don't experience it. The image In this post is of what every "troll" on the internet is. A stupid angry kid.
angy kid
angy kid