Why Abortion is Wrong - Blog 1

Hello, my name is Andrew Roberts and I am a freshman at Science Leadership Academy in Philadelphia, PA.  For my English class we were asked to pick a subject that we cared about, and write three blogs about it, of which this is the first.  I chose abortion, the Pro-Life side of this issue.  I have always cared about human life and believe that “A person is a person, no matter how small.” (Dr. Seuss, Horton Hears a Who), or how young.  A baby inside the womb has unique DNA and therefore is not a part of the woman’s body, and therefore she cannot decide for it.
At 5 weeks, a baby’s heart starts beating, and its neural system and brain begin to form.  At 10 weeks, its fingers and toes have fully formed, and are clearly distinguishable.  This small person has so many characteristics of a normal person, yet the law does not classify it as such and allows one to take its life at will.

Not only is abortion immoral, the methods of killing the baby inside the womb are simply barbaric! The most common method, Suction Cutterage, is described by PregnantPause.org below:

The abortion dilates the woman's cervix and inserts a tube with a sharp edge on the tip. The other end of the tube is connected to a suction device, similar to a home vacuum cleaner but much more powerful. Between the sharp edge and the force of the suction, the developing baby is torn apart and the pieces sucked out through the tube.

This method is usually used for first-trimester abortions.

The baby, this living, growing person, is ripped apart, with no mercy, into pieces, cutting off its life prematurely.
Abortion was originally legalized in 1973, after the controversial case of Roe v. Wade.  Since then, over 53 million abortions have been performed, about one sixth of the current U.S. population.  This amounts to about 1.25 million abortions in the U.S. every year, and over 3,000 a day, as many people as were killed in the 9/11 attacks!  We have killed so many people, and will continue to do so if the law is not changed.  One may say, however, that more people is not a good thing.  There would be more hunger, more homeless, more without work.  But what if one of those 53 million people would have solved world hunger?  What if one of them would have created a huge corporation, employing millions?  By killing our unborn, we are killing our future.
But what if a woman is raped? She should not have to carry and pay for this person that she does not want!  But it is still a living, breathing, human being that you are unmercilessly murdering.  And even so, The Guttmacher Institute (the research branch of Planned Parenthood) reports that less than 1% of abortions are performed because of rape or incest.  Only 3% are done to protect the life of the mother.  And an astounding 86% are performed out of convenience!
Not only does abortion have its faults, Planned Parenthood does also.  They specifically target the poor, as 72% of abortions are performed on women below the federal poverty level.  The founder of Planned Parenthood, Margaret Sanger, once said: “The most merciful thing that a family does to one of its infant members is to kill it.” Planned Parenthood not only encourages the murder of millions, but benefits and even prospers from it.  

A baby at 5 weeks.

Be sure to watch for my next post!

Facts About Abortion

19 Facts About Abortion In America That Should Make You Very Sick

Abortion Facts

“Why I am Pro-Life”  by Brett Kunkle

Bibliography

Tiarra Bell (Student 2016)
Tiarra Bell

Andrew this is a very moving blog, the way you describe what actual happens as an abortion is happen is told in a very graphic way that should make people realize what they are doing. The fact that the baby is torn apart is stuck in my mind, making me think why in the world would a person want to do this to a HUMAN BEING THAT'S ALIVE!!! It's just murder and it's a sin, despite the fact if someone was raped (as you said it was very low that it was the reason to why they got an abortion) or anything else, it's still life that was planned by God and by someone destroying that, it's taking away from God's planned to enrich your life.

Morgan Caswell (Student 2016)
Morgan Caswell

Andrew, this is a very well written blog. I like how you mention the different developmental stage of an unborn challenge and you note how abortions are performed. The rates of abortions done just because the mother doesn't want the child is horrific and this was a very moving blog post.

Morgan Caswell (Student 2016)
Morgan Caswell

Morgan Caswell (Student 2016)
Morgan Caswell