Why Bully?

In William Golding’s Lord of the Flies, the author tells the story of a group of boys who find themselves stranded on an island and have to learn to defend for themselves. During their time on this island the boys had went through a lot of changes emotionally, physically, and mentally. What am I wondering about is how does the influence of bullying people affect our world today? For some, people might bully people because when they're feeling sad, angry, confused, etc and they need to take it out on someone or something and don’t notice that doing this could be hurting someone. People will bully other people just to see the person at the struggle to get through the day.

The book starts off with Ralph and Piggy  stranded on an island wondering where the rest of the people that was with them go. Ralph and Piggy blows into a conch  when suddenly all of this boys come running out the forest. Later on the boys had a voted Ralph as the leader of the group and a lot of the boys didn’t like that. The boys main objective is trying to escape the island.  In Chapter 2 there is a lot of tension within the civilization between Piggy and Jack. Piggy tries to stay his ideas of what they should do but Jack keeps on hurt piggy’s feelings. Piggy says “ There ain’t nothing we can do. We ought to be more careful. I’m scared----” (45). Jack then yells at him and says “You’re always scared. Yah----Fatty!”(45). What the reader can see is that Piggy is feeling intimidated by Jack because Jack yells at him and keeps on talking about his wait. Also, what the reader can tell is that Jack doesn’t care about Piggy’s feels because he talks about his wait and doesn’t think that piggy can’t say or do say anything because of his weight.

Later on in the book we meet this boy named Roger. Roger is a bad influence on the boys because in chapter four it says “Here, invisible yet strong, was the taboo of the old life.  Round the squatting child was the protection of parents and school and policemen and the law. Roger's arm was conditioned by a civilization that knew nothing of him and was in ruins”(87).What the author was showing how roger was bullying one of the littluns because he was throwing rocks at them. But he miss every time he threw one.

What is bullying? Bullying is an “aggressive behavior among school aged children.” There are three types of bulking which is verbal, physically, and social. Bully happens all across the world and it really needs to stop. Like for example in Lord of the Flies when Jack is calling piggy names he is verbally bulking piggy because it is hurt piggy’s feelings. Also, it is very disrespectful and Jack thinks that it is all fun and games. Another example of bulking in the book is when nobody listens to piggy because they don’t care about his ideas on anything there just pushing him to the side. One example of physical bullying is when Roger is fighting piggy and “accidentally” push pigg off a cliff that caused piggy to die. So, this is an issue in the world today and it needs to be stopped.

In my essay I was trying to show how bullying can be really harmful to people. Also this was explaining some of the reason why William Golding put this in the Lord of the Flies book to make this an awareness  it’s around the world.

Golding, Williams. Lord of the Flies. New York: Penguin, 2006.

“What Is Bullying.” StopBullying.gov, www.stopbullying.gov/what-is-bullying/index.html