Why Do Homosexual Have To Hide?

​Down to the Facts:

• 28% of gay/lesbian youth are forced to drop out of school because of their sexuality. (National Gay & Lesbian Task Force, 1998)
  • Suicide is the second leading cause of death on college campuses (CDC 2008).
  • For every completed suicide by a young person, it is estimated that 100 to 200 attempts are made (Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance Survey 2003).
  • Lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth are up to four times more likely to attempt suicide than their heterosexual peers (Massachusetts Youth Risk Survey 2007).
  • LGBT youth who come from highly rejecting families are more than 8 times as likely to have attempted suicide than LGB peers who reported no or low levels of family rejection (Ryan C, Huebner D, et al - Peds 2009;123(1):346-352)
  • High school students hear 25 anti-gay remarks every day. Of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) high schoolers, 42 percent have been physically harassed on the basis of their perceived sexual orientation/gender identity.
  • 25 anti-gay remarks everyday, that is 175 every week, that is about 750 a month, and 9,125 a year 

Type in ‘teen suicides related to gay bullying’. There are a million links to stories about teens that died by suicide because of bullying. Those stories have links to a billion other stories. Here are some: Tyler Clementi, 18 - student at Ridgewood High School killed himself by jumping off the George Washington Bridge on September 22nd 2010, Justin Aaberg, 15, hanged himself in his room in July 2010, Kameron Jacobsen, 14 – freshman at Monroe Woodbury High School 2011, Lance Lundsten, 18 – senior at Jefferson High School 2011, and Brandon Bitner, 14 – freshman at Pennsylvania High School threw himself in highway traffic, thirteen miles from his home.  Some stories are as young as 9 years old and the deaths are brutal. One stories about a boy that was 10 and shot himself in the head, in his closet.

GSANI, ILGA, IGLHRC, IGLYO, ILGLaw, GRIN are gay rights organizations. People that know about the hardships gay teens face, they know the taunts and the looks the teens get nowadays, run these organizations. These organizations are trying to change the anti-gay programs in school because they know that they are not working. If these programs were working, then there would be less teen suicides. These organizations have been around since homosexuals have been openly gay, this website It Gets Better. It gives videos from actors, strangers, and friends that talk about their experiences, and how it get better, promoting the Trevor Project. This project helps homeless teens that were disowned by their family, people to talk to about gay bullying, and tries to stop teen suicides.

In my next blog, I will talk about different polices or laws that have to do with gay rights. For example, Prop 8, Don't Ask and Don't Tell policy. I will even talk about different laws in different countries all over the world, like Uganda.