Why is homosexuality around even though it doesn't help with reproduction?

Natural selection is a way of helping a species to become stronger by survival of the fittest. The theory of “survival of the fittest” describes what happens when a mutation in a species causes them to have certain traits that make it easier for them to feed or grow stronger. When thinking of homosexuality, a question could be where is natural selection in this section of life.

Homosexuality is present in humans and even apes, birds, reptiles and fish. It doesn’t quite help these species to grow stronger as far as reproduction goes but its usually used as a way of relieving the sexual stress that it caused by natural hormones. It is said, “sex is important but very inconvenient”. This is true in more traditional species that take the time out to have breeding seasons where the males are separated from the females. During this time, male hormones aren’t reduced but instead are present to the point where “male guppies will court each other for weeks while confined in a one-sex group”. Basically, homosexuality isn’t a way of helping reproduction, but at the same time doesn’t stop it. “Homosexuality doesn’t prevent reproduction: Homosexuals reproduce and would therefore be able to pass on a genetic propensity for homosexuality or ‘gay genes’”, but at the same time, even if they didn’t reproduce, it is not definite that there is a gene for homosexuality. In fact, scientists say that “No. There is no evidence that shows that homosexuality is simply ‘genetic.’” It is more possible that homosexuality is spontaneous and therefore will never become an extinct trait.

Still, there are people that will continue to adopt and continue on with their heterosexual capabilities despite their actions or feelings. Those male guppies still went on to have children after they were put back into their normal society, and this is the same across all of the species that adapt homosexual traits.

Citations:

Hunter, Preston. "Homosexuality: A Paradox of Evolution." Adherents.com. N.p., 1994. Web. 16 Nov 2010. <http://www.adherents.com/misc/paradoxEvolution.html>.

"Is There a "Gay Gene"?." NARTH: National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality. N.p., 09 Feb 2008. Web. 16 Nov 2010. <http://www.narth.com/docs/istheregene.html>.