YATW: Sickle Cell Anemia

Hello, My name is Dejah Smith and I am a freshman at Science Leadership Academy high school. In my English class we are discussing topics that are going on in the world. I will be addressing Sickle Cell Anemia. Sickle cell anemia is a disease passed down through a family. When you have Sickle Cell your red blood cells are not shaped like a disc instead they take the shape of a sickle or a crescent shape.

There is one main cause of Sickle Cell anemia. It is caused by an abnormal type of hemoglobin, which is a protein inside of your red blood cells. This carries your oxygen. Sickle cell anemia is passed down to you when you have both parents with it.  Many people that are diagnosed don't live a very long life. On average a males lives to he is 42 and women until they are 48. Mostly dying from organ failure. 50 percent live to see their 5th decade.  

Some symptoms of  Sickle cell anemia is joint, back, leg and chest pain. These pains and or “crisis” can last up to days. Sometimes these pains are so bad you could be hospitalized. Other symptoms of this disease is fatigue, fast heart beats, and yellowing of your eyes and skin. Younger children tend to have pains and sometimes mini strokes. They also can have confusion with their thoughts. Due to spleen failure overtime victims of this disease start to have different types of infections.

There are many different treatments that's trying to cure this disease. The main thing they are trying to do is maintain symptoms and put a stop to the crisis. Something called Folic Acid. This creates new red blood cells for the victims. Blood transfusions and pain medicines.

To deal with the pain of this awful disease, they have support groups. That way everyone is mentally supported. This gives everyone a shoulder to cry on and someone to relate to.     

This picture shows how normal red blood cells look compared to blood cells that are infected with the Sickle cell anemia disease.

Jun-Jie Zou (Student 2017)
Jun-Jie Zou

I really like how you describe the symptoms, treatments, and causes for Sickle Cell Anemia. I definitely think that you can double check your punctuation, spelling, and grammar over again, but overall I really like the information you gave about Sickle Cell Anemia.

Benjamin Fink (Student 2017)
Benjamin Fink

Dejah, you may want to look for grammar mistakes and take out the RIP words such as "good" or "bad." You also don't have any hyperlinks for two or three of your sources and your bibliography.