YATW Blog # 3 - Agent Of Change

Hello! It’s been a while, hasn’t it? Many things have transpired and happened over the course of time since I last approached the gritty details of our city’s educational system and situation. During these closing months of the school year I, or we, approached the last portions of our project, by ending with the usual ‘bang’, the part of our assignment when we actually take the time out of our days and make a difference. This is the third and final approach of mine towards this issue and if interested you can read over my first and second blogs here (Number 1), and here (Number 2).  Even though I was supposed to end with a bang and make a compelling mark on the world, I came to the realization that my dreams were bigger than my reality, and my time schedules were harsher than any of the issues I’ve faced so far.

There’s no need to lie, or portray false ambition. I had many chances to grasp amazing opportunities of change, but because of my laid-back mindset my hands were stitched to my side whenever they floated by. As a measure and response to my laziness I conducted large amounts of research, and found many compelling articles and structural pieces surrounding my subject and the details it entails. In my last two posts I introduced the problem and then explained what exactly was wrong comparing the forceful blame onto the School District of Philadelphia or the parents or households of inner-city children.  Towards the beginning of the project my problem approached what had already been done and scores that were already set but I realized that the problem was not what was done, but what hadnt happened yet. You can not change the past but by approaching the present, you CAN change the future.

The Pennsylvania Keystone Exams as described previously, are state-wide standardized tests used previously to measure the “intelligence” of the child taking the exam. Not until this year were the Keystone Exams mandated as a necessary passing requirement for High School graduation. Not only does this anger me but it takes my subject, my problem, to an entirely different level. Now, we have to approach the fact that the kids that previously were receiving low scores just as a “Measure of Intelligence” are now in danger of not graduating High School. Not only is it degrading to see that tests are used to measure intelligence, but now it’s the structure; the requirement for a student’s graduation, ON TOP of everything else required from a High School Student.  As I searched deeper into the matter, the frustration grew and grew when reading an article I found while searching the web again.

"A very large share of Pennsylvania students are entering college — both community college and traditional four year colleges — requiring remediation," she said. "Unfortunately for the students, the remediation courses are not credit-bearing. So they're using college loans to pay for non-credit-bearing courses to teach them the skills they needed to learn in grades K-12."

As said by Donna Cooper, executive director of Public Citizens for Children and Youth

As said, the test is forcing the fundamentals out of high school students and forcing them to throw money and loans away to take courses that arent required to graduate and give no credit whatsoever, just to prepare for the normal courses that give them credit. After careful consideration I chose to do the most simple but straightforward thing possible in order to raise awareness for my cause. During this time the Keystones for other schools and my school were just around the corner and it was detrimental that we passed in order to graduate, not to play into the system but to beat that system. The better we do on Keystones the faster we can focus on fundamentals we need to properly approaching college application. Along with a partner, Brandon Jones, and I, created ordinary posters and posted them on floors will testing will take place in order to raise awareness. The posters ranged from scaring people into doing good to properly motivating Students to do well.

Picture 1 -  This picture shows my partner, Brandon, working on one of our many posters with a lot of concentration, creating a graph that we found on our laptops concerning the drops in test scores.

Picture 2 - Picture 2 shows a poster I created, and posted on a wall which shows the large differences in test scores. The lowest bars in each section are the Latino and African American groups, compared to the high-risen, Caucasian and Asian groups.

Picture 3 - This Final picture shows the unfinished version of a poster that says ¨Dont be a dumby, put something in your tummy¨. The picture is used as a sense of irony to show that whoever wrote it spelled dummy wrong and is infact themselves ¨a dumby¨. But its real purpose is to show that what works best with taking tests is having a healthy breakfast and/or lunch. The drawing portrays healthy fruits and vegetables along with every day foods.

In conclusion I approach the end of my project hoping and feeling like I actually made a difference. Even though it was a small effort it was still my effort, and to me that is all that matters. I plan to continue my research on the matter indefinitely in the future and I hope to contribute to the issue with even larger acts of change. As I final goodbye I’d like to say to anyone Ive raised awareness to I hope for your help and contribution towards this problem more in the future and I’d like to pursue more contributions on my free time when my schedule is better. I am Damir Hunley and this is my Agent of Change!