You and The World Blog #2

Daniel Ross                                                                                              January 13, 2013

While I was researching poverty I came across some very intriguing facts. According to the Webster's Dictionary, poverty is the state or condition of having little or no money, goods, or means of support; condition of being poor. Poverty is a really big epidemic. The median household income in the United States is $46,326. In 2011 nearly 50 million Americans, more than 16 percent of the population, are struggling to survive. In 2011, 50.1 million Americans lived in households where food was scarce, 33.5 million adults and 16.7 million children. Each day 10,00 babies are born dead and the same amount of newborns die within a month of birth. Over 1.4 billion people in the developing world live below the poverty line. 

I found this website which lets you view your neighborhood’s statistics. Here’s a look at my neighborhood. Now to be considered middle class your income must be at least $40,000 a year. To be considered upper class you must pull at least $100,00 a year. As you can see, there is 43% of the residents with income below the poverty line. That’s really high for there only to be 176 houses. That means that 24 residents are living off of less than $26,000 per year. That’s $2,166 a month, and $541 a week. The average American spends $200-$300 a week on groceries. This only leaves about $300 for the rest of the week which may seem a lot not but it’s not enough for a family.

I decided to research a little more and found someone in my neighborhood to interview. However they are above the poverty line. He does have a job, but it isn't the highest paying job. He also has two children who he deeply cares for. He really is struggling to make ends meet. His electricity is currently off and uses candles for light. Sometimes the only meal his children get is at school. This man’s life may sound very depressing but, he can honestly say that he is blessed. He could be jobless, he could be homeless but he’s not. Sure he’s struggling but at least he can come home to a nice, dry, warm bed every night.