Advanced Essay #3 Opportunities

Introduction:

For my essay I wanted to talk about how cultural background affects on how you are viewed in society. My goal is for my classmates to understand how us different skin color different backgrounds are viewed and what opportunities we get. I enjoyed making this piece. The process was way different than I expected. I did not think

Essay:

Who would to say being born from 2 undocumented immigrants would be such a hassle. So much pressure on my shoulders, looking for opportunities they missed out on. Learning the dominant language in the country, english. Parents don’t even want to teach me about our culture-I mean their culture. Americanization is what decided my name, my mother and father thought Jonathan was a perfect name for a non-white kid could have to fit in in order meet their expectations. However they gave me their last name to also show I’m latino. Saldivar not pronounced saldvador or saldevar, etc. Jonathan or Johnny that’s what I go by now. Preferably Johnny. Your name is a white boy’s name, however your last name fits you well it has that spanish tone. Make up your mind, am I a latino or a wannabe white boy. At some point I would wear the same clothes everyday or at least pants and sweater. Everyone would questionly ask me “

Johnny why do you wear those clothes everyday?” That’s looking down on me, making me feel like more at a disadvantage. I remember reading an article talking about social standing in america and it asserts that “Many American immigrants imagine their new country to be a land of opportunity, but those opportunities, it seems, are not available to everyone equally.” I agree with the quote. I felt at a disadvantage because I’m not white, second where I am placed on the ladder of society. Mexicans, we are seen as immigrants, as minority's. The first phrase when people find out I’m mexican. “You’re an illegal immigrant! You’re latino? You must be mexican. You jumped the border?”

That’s only the beginning. My self esteem crumbled before my very eyes. Self esteem- confidence in one’s own worth or ability; self respect. I lost the respect I once had for myself. I eventually started making jokes about my culture, dressing in ridiculous clothing. I’m great at math, however I didn’t bother trying anymore. One of my teachers noticed a difference in me while being in the class. The teacher eventually came to me and pulled me to the side. “Johnny?” worriedly asked my teacher. “What? Is there something wrong?” I asked quietly. “Do you notice a difference in you?” I asked my teacher. “No not really.” I responded. “Johnny!” (Silence roamed the room.) “I can’t believe you don’t realize what’s wrong with you?” my teacher exclaimed. I raised my voice as I said a word within my sentence. “Why should I try in this class if I’m settled for a job as a gardener, or selling drugs. Better yet why am I even learning this language for christ sake, can I just speak like my parents. Also I’m sorry that I am not whi(te)-” I left the room before finishing my sentence. A sense of deja vu appeared. I once read the story of  and some random kid quoted a sentence in the story. “Only I feel sorry because hes all alone and has no frends.” This quote reminded that some people are not offered the same education, some teachers may care to help everyone, however there are some that only helps those who they think will succeed. The kid didn’t have the best pronunciation, I don’t blame him since he’s also a minority.” This was the opportunity he got, he didn’t care about getting the best education like the rich kids got and take it for granted. There has been many definitions of the american dream. The most common one is everyone gets an equal opportunity to achieve success from hard, determination. This dream is false, hard work can lead to being stress, burning yourself out. He just wanted to learn even if it was a bad school, education will lead to better future. The american dream is not what it’s meant to be. I walked up to him because he clearly was talking about me. “Hey dude.” “Wat?” “I wanted to know if you wanted to hangout sometime” I asked shyly. “Shore” he responded.  After that day I somewhat see myself becoming the guy who I once was. My friend was from the black community living in a beat up house. I felt bad for him. One day I was walking up to pay see him and these kids were talking badly about my friend so I decided to join the conversation that was happening between them. “This kid can barely speak english haha. No wonder your dad left when you were born. Now you’re stuck here being a nobody.” “Hey why are you talking to him like that? What's does it matter to you, you lowlife immigrant.” I wanted to help but I couldn't I was frozen. Staring at my friend getting tortured. I didn't have the confidence to step up.  

Advanced Essay Bibliography Add when I get time