Art Blog- Quarter 4

Here is the list of things I've done:
Abstract emotion
Abstract Motion
Abstract
Close up
Hands
Miscellaneous

Note: Just about every piece was done in: HB, 4B, 2B, 4H, 2H pencils; .07 MM draftline pencil; and charcoal. Only one thing was done in acrylic paint.

Abstract Emotion:
Title: Trapped

This was my very fist attempt at abstract- this illustration. I used all of the material stated above (minus acrylic). As an artist, my preference is traditional forms of art, so I usually stick pencils- because I love them. Anyway, this was very hard to do, because I honestly did not know where I was going with it. I started using the smooth surface of the charcoal to create a foundation- which turned out looking like a ground. From there I got an idea, I was going to try to to create sand (from a picture that I had). I glided a 2b across the page to create a curvy look. After several moments of this, I noticed that something was very wrong. I realized that I absolutely hated it and had not idea what to do with it next. So here's the interesting part- I just let go. I let my hands do the thinking and found that I started forming figures out of the curves that were supposed to be waves. Then I saw something. I saw faceless figures pop out of the pages in front of me, and I went from there. I began to define the figures. I shaped them and and used the charcoal to really darken then and contrast the background that I would eventually make a nuance of the darkness of the figures and the ambiante glow that surrounds them. I loved the idea of one distant figure that could be made of out of all of the others. So I made one center creature the one that is "Trapped". Many may interpret this as they please, but one thing to know is that I tried to induce a sense of fear. So if you want to know one thing for sure, fear is the motion portrayed in the shape of their bodies and through the center.

Abstract Motion: 
Title: Fly

I can confidently say that this is my least favorite of all of my drawings because I just couldn't the motion like I wanted. This one was all charcoal. I started with my foundation: a body. I then proceed to use different strokes of the charcoal to create the "wisping" and "flying" look of the person. The hardest pat was using lines and strokes to show the speed of the movement. In my opinion, degrees and indications of speed need to be shown to show that the object is moving at all. I used darker strokes closer to the figure and and they further they strayed away the the lighter and softer they became. This was to give it a look that it was dwindling away as well as moving. I can say that this mood is quite tranquil compared to trapped. I just want the viewer to feel like a feather when looking at the drawing. That was my objective.

Abstract: 
Title: Bang 

Once more, a piece that I'm not the happiest with, but I'm glad that I resisted the temptation to use a human foundation again. This time I used a foundation of a circle- which I proceeded to shade. This was another piece that I didn't have a specific direction with so I just followed my hands. It had hit me that it felt as if the circle in the center had been similar to a planet, so I went with that mind set and and shaded all around it. Here the charcoal didn't really help me, os I used my heaviest pencils- HB and 4B, and smudged it around to really darken it. I then used my eraser to erase certain points. I wanted to give it light and give it an explosive effect- hence the title "Bang". I really do like that I was able to make it look as if it were exploding, and the mood from this in almost anticipation- it's like you waiting for something to end. 

Close Up: 
Title: Finger 

I have thoroughly enjoyed doing this close up. In particular, this was in conjunction to my individual assignment of hands. Since I am left-handed, I examined my right index finger, and draw it just as I saw it. Using all of the pencils that I stated at the top, I started by tracign with my eyes the shape of my finger, and I then I added dimension by playing with the lighting along the side.

trapped
trapped
fly
fly
bang
bang
finger close up
finger close up
hand I
hand I
hand II
hand II
hand III
hand III
hands IV
hands IV
dad
dad
abtract arcylic
abtract arcylic
melt
melt