Ayanna, Donna & Uyen's food project(Yummmmm)

Screen shot 2011-11-10 at 9.40.07 PM
Screen shot 2011-11-10 at 9.40.07 PM
How to make Kimpab

1 teaspoon rice vinegar

1/2 teaspoon soy sauce

8 sheets  fresh seaweed

2 cucumbers

4 eggs, beaten

1 tablespoon sesame seed, toasted

4 slices pickled yellow radishes

1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

4 cups hot cooked rice

Intruction:

1.Put the Rice into a pod or a rice cooker, add some water and let it cook. 
2.Let the rice cool a bit.

3. Mix the rice with the vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil.

3. Fry eggs as if it were a pancake.

4. Cut egg into strips.

5. To assemble, put rice on a bamboo roller

6. Spread rice over 2/3 of the sheet, lay the cucumbers radish, and egg on top.

7. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and roll like a jelly roll.

8. Cut into 1/2 inch rounds.

9. Enjoy!!!!!! 

How to make Oyakodon

1 lb Free Range chicken (cut into bite size pieces)
1 1/2 tbsp onion flakes

1 2/3 cups dashi soup stock

7 Tbsp soy sauce

4 Tbsp mirin

3 Tbsp all natural sugar

4 Organic eggs (beat)

5 cups Botan Calrose Rice

Instruction:

1. In a large skillet, heat the dashi stock over medium heat.

2. Add in soy sauce, sugar and mirin. Stir.

3. Add in chicken and let heat for about 5 minutes.

4. Add in onion flakes and let sit for another 5 minutes.

5. Add eggs into the skillet.

6. Bring to a boil.

7. Lower heat and cover with a lid for 1-3 minutes.

8. Remove from heat and serve over steamed rice.

9. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Analysis:

From the two part meal, out of 15 ingredients, 10 weren't processed. (Rice, rice vinegar,  chicken, sugar, eggs, sesame seeds, seaweed, cucumbers, sesame oil, and onion flakes) So about 67% of our total meal was whole foods.

For the Kimpab the meal consisted of mostly oils, complex sugars, protein.

For the Oyakodon the meal consisted of protein, complex sugars, simple sugars, protein and oils.

Complex sugar-Complex sugars are tecnically carbs. Carbs regulate the sugar in your blood so all cells get the appropriate amount of energy, help foster growth of good bacteria in your intestines, help the body to absorb calcium, regulate blood pressure and give your body energy that it burns off slowly rather than right away.

Simple sugar-Simple sugars are quickly broken down by your body to give you quick energy. They don't last very long but they give you energy to do what you need to. It goes straight into your bloodstream.

Protein-Proteins build and repair body tissue, produce enzymes and hormones, regulated natural bodily functions, helps the immune system and helps to produce stored energy to increase stamina. Different types of proteins go different places and perform different functions.

Oil-Oils insulate under skin from the cold and heat, support organs and nerve fibers and oils take part of every cell membrane in your body.

So our body will be able to maintain normal bodily processes while retaining some of the energy for later use. While this isn't a meal to eat right before an important athletic event, for a day out walking this should be the thing. This meal wouldn't hurt you right away. It has most of the food groups as well as essential bodily nutrients. For a sedentary lifestyle this meal is probably acceptable. More proteins are needed to truly make this a good meal. This meal does tend to have a lot of simple sugars in it so you could develop diabetes or have your insulin have issues.

Most of our ingredients came from America in areas that specialize in asian cuisine. The specific state could be anymore but in our case probably in small asian shops here in PA. (H-Mart usually has pretty local ingredients.) So I'm thinking our furthest ingredient was probably the seaweed, chicken, or botan calrose rice with an estimated 30-50 miles traveled. The grown ingredients were not grown with pesticides but most likely used fertilizer. The processed foods, rice vinegar for example, are probably damaging to the environment from constantly having to grow and be stripped of its product. It's being reused often without break.

Kimpab = $30.29

Oyakodon = $37.48

While initially this is more expensive than fast food factor in that it was made for 10+ people which brings the prices down to $3.03 and $3.74 per person. This is the price of a dollar menu meal at mcdonalds and cheaper than a value meal. AND it's much healthier. H-mart and it's farming partners made the money off our meal. H-mart is the largest corporation involved in our food.

There were only two processes followed for all of our foods.

Whole foods:

1. Animal/earth

2. Harvested

3. Truck

4. Cleaned (at H-mart)

5. Onto H-Mart shelves

Processed:

1. Animal/earth

2. chemically pimped out

3. harvested

4. Truck (to factory)

5. Additives are added/final products are made

6. truck to H-mart

7. onto shelves

Honestly had we grown these items ourselves the only missing steps would be steps 3 and 5 for whole foods and steps 2,4,6,7 for processed foods, H-mart is pretty awesome like that.

Ayanna Robinson's reflection/Food rule 

If it weren't for this unit I would have known that I have very little say in the way my food is produced but I wouldn't know why. Because of this unit I learned just how screwed the organic vs. processed food debate is. As a consumer, I should have the right to know what I'm paying for but through Food Inc. I learned how important it is to keep the consumer in the dark so the producer can sell the cheapest things for the biggest profit. 

A good starting change would be for me to try and put more of my money into small farms. These are the cleanest producers with minimal use of middle men. Because small farms don’t use the middle man I know my money is going straight into my product. What I buy is actually what I paid for. Also, I help myself by buying from small farms because the food is sure to be more organic than what the FDA lets pass for organic in Wal-Mart.

But I also learned its not just about what you eat. Moderation in what you eat can affect you just as much. A person who eats junk in moderation might not get diabetes while someone who gorges on healthy food does. And even then your genetics might simply be working against you. Healthy diets are affected by more than just food!

Although hard at first, these changes would be in the best interest of all people. If we start creating healthy habits earlier, generations of kids can grow up with healthy appetites. If we worked hard enough, there could one day be a generation of kids for which diabetes is a rare occurence. For me as an individual im not entirely willing to make the change, but for the community as a whole I would love to. After learning all the secrets the food industry has hidden from its customers im less likely to willingly stick to eating its food. 

food ruleaya
food ruleaya

Uyen Nguyen's reflection/Food rule 

One of the biggest thing that I learned from this unit was that about all of the food Incorporation and how the food industry really affect the economy. However, that is not one of the main thing I notice about the chapter, I also notice a lot of important facts that the general public should acknowledge. As simple as it sound, its actually more than just any food that you can easily purchase at the market or where else. These foods are going through a system that is almost like a cover up for the truth and as consumers we are not taking our time to investigate in these issues. I would like the general public to realizes all of the issues that are running in the food industry and tries to change it before it is too late. Some of the steps that I personally can do to address this issues is by talking about it at home and starting it out with my parents and friends. It might be a small change that we can do one by one, but the small changes might be able to help us spread the words and get people to listen and start getting involve with consuming in organic foods as as well as growing their own instead of spending a small amount of money to ruin the human health. 

I also enjoyed reading the facts about the new way to grow potatoes as well as how they are being describes more of a computer than just a plant. 

This chapter has changed my view on the food industry more than ever before. Also it has struck to me that there are so many ways that I can go with my diet without having to conflict with all of the unhealthy eating habits. I might return to being a vegetarian once again. 

Screen shot 2011-11-09 at 8.16.37 PM
Screen shot 2011-11-09 at 8.16.37 PM

Donna Survillo 's reflection/Food rule 

This unit definitely helped me to have a better understanding of how the food industry works and what goes on behind the scenes of the supermarkets and their providers. In the food system, I’m a consumer and being a part of a secretive food society isn’t fair to not only myself, but to many others as well. The largest problem that we have with the food industry is that so much stuff, aside from the million and one things that are listed in the ingredients, is put into our food without us knowing; so many things are hidden from us. The food industry is using products that are cheaper and more convenient to obtain. They’re processing food to make it appear more edible than waiting for it to grow naturally that way. For example, in the movie Food Inc. we learned how farmers would basically drug their chickens with steroids to fatten and grow larger a lot quicker than they normally would. Compared to a “normal” chicken, the modified chickens are about 2-3 times larger.

A few food changes that I could make are to buy organic food and free-range meats. The only problem with organic food, as we learned, is that it can be extremely pricey and it’s not really affordable, which isn’t fair. People shouldn’t have to spend a fortune on healthy food for their selves and their families. But since they do, the majority of America is overweight due to the cheaper, unhealthier food options that are provided for us. So, until I’m working or until the food industry decides they wanna let us buy healthy food for a cheaper price, I’m not AS willing to make the change as I should be.

Food Rule Slide
Food Rule Slide