Babcock.Q4.BM.Vulnerability

HERE is where my work lives.​

What did you set out to do?

I set out to discover how people feel about Vulnerability. This word has so often been linked to negative meanings, so I set out to unravel the truth behind being vulnerable. I asked a variety of people what vulnerability feels like, their most vulnerable moments, and what exactly vulnerability is to them. With these responses, I was able to cultivate a new meaning of vulnerability. 

How does your work incorporate the art of storytelling?

I think that "vulnerability" is the central component to storytelling. Creating anything and sharing it is being vulnerable. I'm showcasing the stories of anonymous people through their responses and my photo re-creations. In addition to that, I'm also telling the story of vulnerability through the eyes of so many different persepctives. Even deeper, I'm sharing my story as a photographer, and a creator. I'm showing my thought process and ideas.

What do you hope your audience gains from your work?

I hope that my audience begins to appreciate what it means to be vulnerable. Overall, I want them to open their minds to opening themselves up. This may mean: sharing their art with others, sharing their opinions, tackling inner demons, etc. I want people to gain some sort of understanding, whatever it may be. Hopefully, people will be able to relate to this project.

What did you gain from doing this work. 

I gained an appreciation for two main things: Being vulnerable and Creating art. The creation of this book entitled more than I thought. I needed to step out of the box and get my creative juices flowing. But through this difficult process, I understood how rewarding it is to create art. You begin to see yourself through a new perspective. Being vulnerable became very important to me. Throughout this process I realized how vulnerable people are every single day of their lives. I also gained a few different perspectives on being vulnerable and allowing your true self to show.