Bee Movie Benchmark

Hadleigh Stammers (Student 2018)
Hadleigh Stammers

Was the video engaging? Why or why not? I feel that sometimes the movie clips were a little distracting or unrelated to the analysis, which sometimes made it hard to focus on what was being said. The intro to the video was a little long also.

Was the analysis sophisticated? How did it go beyond the basis, or not? Your analysis was really good I think! I think it was interesting to analyze this type of children's movie so deeply, for example, comparing the social classes involved in the 'bee society' as well as the analysis you included comparing the honeycomb to community housing/the projects and the bee's being recipients of welfare. A lot of your ideas seemed far fetched at first, but it worked because you had good analysis to back it up.

Harrison Wellner (Student 2018)
Harrison Wellner

The video is in some ways engaging, as it does use different parts of the movie, and plays the trailer before the analysis. However, there were sometimes when clips and images played seemingly randomly, with little clear connection to the analysis. Also, the audio was not completely stabilized equally for each person.

The analysis was sophisticated, as it went into detail on how the lenses related to the content. It made many comparisons between the movie and real capitalist society. The idea of character design relating to gender was especially interesting. It may have benefited from going more into detail on whether or not the creators of the film were attempting to make a statement, however otherwise this was all good.

Gabriel Garcia-Leeds (Student 2018)
Gabriel Garcia-Leeds

There was obviously a lot of thought put into the content and analysis, however the presentation didn't seem as fully polished. The video was engaging for sure, although some footage seemed a little irrelevant and there were a couple awkward stills. The analysis was very clear, and applying marxist theory to life in an anthropomorphic beehive made for a very interesting topic. I'd say the analysis did go beyond the basis, given that each example brought up unique and fascinating points that many others would have missed. Overall, the project was great, and the only complaint I have is that the visuals weren't as polished as the content.

Christopher Irwin-Diehl (Student 2018)
Christopher Irwin-Diehl

The video was not super engagin, mainly because the audio was a bit distracting, with the background noise and constantly cutting out. The analysis however, was very interesting and sophisticated, looking to details as small as character design. There was a lot of meanignful interpretation pulled from this seemingly insignificant and silly film, and that depth of analysis contributed heavily to the quality of the video.