Behind every love is a lie

“The Taming of the Shrew” & “The Silver Linings Playbook”

Deception & honesty are  recurring events in “The Taming of the Shrew”, between the characters. The same thing goes for the 2012 movie “ Silver Linings Playbook,”.

Pat Solatano, Jr. is a bipolar man, who has just been released from prison after he beat up his wife’s secret lover.  His later love, Tiffany Maxwell is a recovering sex addict. Her husband, Tommy Maxwell recently died. Pat & Tiffany could be compared to Petruchio and Katherine’s relationship but in reversed. Petruchio uses devious tactics to get with Katherine’s. In “Silver Linings Playbook,” Tiffany uses similar tactics on Pat. She made him think that her goal something else but in reality, it was something completely different. In dissimilarity, Pat isn’t knowledgeable of Tiffany’s goals until the end of the film. Katherine although, most likely knew Petruchio’s plans already. These stories shows that,while deception and dishonesty aren't moral, they can benefit you a lot depending on the way you use them.

"Petruchio: Come, come, you wasp, i’faith you are too angry.

Katherine: If I be waspish, best beware my sting.

Petruchio: My remedy is then to pluck it out.

Katherine: Ay, if the fool could find where it lies.

Petruchio: Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting?  In his tail.

Katherine: In his tongue.

Petruchio: Whose tongue?

Katherine: Yours, if you talk of tales, and so farewell.

Petruchio: What, with my tongue in your tail?"

(Act II, Scene I, 207-214)

In this scene, Petruchio and Katherine are first meeting.  While on the surface they are insulting and testing each other mentally, they are also making hints at the sexual attraction between the both of them. This represents deception, because they are hiding true meaning behind their words.

Pat & Tiffany’s Interaction

Screenshot 2016-04-27 at 1.47.53 AM
Screenshot 2016-04-27 at 1.47.53 AM

Pat and Tiffany meet for the first time at Pat’s friend Ronnie’s house. Pat first says that Tiffany looks nice, and soon after asks about her dead husband. Which then turns into awkward and sub- hostile conversation between both of them.  However, during the conversation, they are both giving each other attracted stares all in front of Ronnie. When Tiffany leaves him and Ronnie, she gives Pat a sensual look, implying her intentions, just like Katherine and Petruchio. This is a perfect example of each other. Their relationship starts off little hostile but then grows into something more special.

"Signor Hortensio, ‘twixt such friends as we

Few words suffice; and therefore, if thou know

One rich enough to be Petruchio’s wife—

As wealth is burden of my wooing dance—

Be she as foul as was Florentius’ love,

As old as Sibyl, and as curst and shrewd

As Socrates’ Xanthippe or a worse,

She moves me not—or not removes at least

Affection’s edge in me, were she as rough

As are the swelling Adriatic seas.

I come to wive it wealthily in Padua;

If wealthily, then happily in Padua."

(Act I, Scene ii, 62–73)

Petruchio explains to Hortensio about his intention of finding a bride in Padua. He states that his main goal is to marry for money. Petruchio says that he does not care about anything else. He says that the woman may be as “foul as was Florentius’ love”, “old as Sibyl” or “unpleasant as Socrates’ Xanthippe”. Petruchio does not care as long as she is rich. This show’s his feelings towards her at first are blatant about his materialism and selfishness. Later on in the book he falls in love little by little.

Screenshot 2016-04-27 at 1.49.17 AM
Screenshot 2016-04-27 at 1.49.17 AM

In this scene Pat is walking Tiffany home. They start to talk about what just happened and then Tiffany offers the option of sex. He rejects and she walks away. This shows her first attempts and stating her objection of the relationship but Pat is slowly falling in love and doesn’t see her intentions. She originally only wants sex and tells him that but from the beginning Pat fell in love with her slowly.

Both of these prove dishonesty and deception can affect future situations.  Petruchio’s manipulation and deceit at first only brought a difficult relationship and a forced marriage. But, in the end Katherine ended up to be happy. In Silver Linings Playbook, Tiffany does something wrong, very manipulative and dishonest. Throughout the dishonesty that is part of her friendship with Pat, comes an honest

Adam Cavalier (Student 2017)
Adam Cavalier

This essay really showed me how deceptive Petruchio was in the beginning. I didn't realize this as much when initially reading the book. But, this gave a good insight and comparison to a movie.