Benchmark Reflection

How does this project relate to the real world?

This project relates to the real world by teaching us skills than will be helpful in the real world. For example it teaches us how to map an area to scale. This skill will be very useful in the real world because it can help us find the size of a building or street by using a scaled map. It can also be useful when your making a scaled map for your job. Another skill that was taught was how to measure tall buildings. These can be very useful as measurements are important in every day life. That is how this project can help in everyday life.

What was the most exciting portion of this project and why? What was the least exciting portion to this project and why?

The most exciting portion of this project was when we went outside to find the measurements. I felt that it was really great that we got hands on experience with finding the height of the buildings. I doubt I would have learned about how to measure using the mirror method if we didn’t actual measure something that would be impossible to measure otherwise. The least exciting part was Google map maker. I think I might have placed my building on top of another and it was to tell where my street was due to the bad camera angles. I also could see the top of my building on street view.

What did you learn from completing this project

I learned how to use the mirror and stick method on a building and why the shadow method isn’t the best tool to use. I also learned more about the stick method which I didn’t know much about at first. I learned how to use Google Map maker thought I hope I won’t have to use it again. I learned how estimates are not alway right and how it is always important to verify your measurement because most of the time it is not right. For example my first measurement was 40 feet off from my verification. That is what I learned from this project.