- How does this project relate to the real world? This project relates to the real world in many ways. For one, if you need to paint your walls, or hang wallpaper up, you need to know the height of your wall. You could use the mirror method or one of the other methods to help you. Also, maybe in your career later in life you will need to find the height of objects that are too big to measure by hand.
- What was the most exciting portion of this project and why? What was the least exciting portion of this project and why? The most exciting portion of this project was getting it turned in! This project was the most stressful benchmark I've ever had. Other than that, I liked drawing and coloring the blueprint and making it my own. The least exciting portion to this project was the stress of working in a group you didn't choose to work with. I've never worked with these people before so it was hard for me to get stuff done with them. Other than that, I guess going outside and getting the measurements wasn't very exciting. It was freezing.
- What did you learn from completing this project? I learned that you have to be patient with your group mates. Also, its every man for himself in this type of situation. When in a group project, but doing individual parts, you have to focus on getting your own work done. I also learned that using your eyes to estimate is crucial in architecture. Since there was no way to actually measure by hand the height of my building myself, I had to take all the measurements I had and guess which one was right based on what it looked like.
This project relates to the real world because when building a building you need to know all of the measurements. You have to make sure that all the math is right so that the building doesn't turn out with problems with the structure. Another way that I think this project relates back to the real world is if you want to do a job with building this is a good way to get a understanding of the math behind it. You have to know how to do proportions and measure properly.
I think the most exciting part of this project was going outside and measuring the buildings. I thought that it was very hands on. I was able to get more of an understanding of what exactly we were supposed to be done. Standing next to the building you are measuring is way different than looking at it on google earth. I say that my least favorite part was some of the math a the drawing. I say this because at times the math could be a little tricky cause you wanted to make sure you got around the same numbers for each method. Also the drawing I say this because I want things to be perfect when it comes to drawing and we only had a short time do so.
I learned how to measure buildings, I learned how to use different methods such as the mirror method and stick method. I also learned that through using google earth you can find the height of a building. To do that you move your mouse all the way to the top of the building and then you mine 16 from the height that is given. I learned that at times you may not get the same measurements as you did for one of the methods, but you just have to go back over your work and check for any mistakes that you may have made.
This project relates to the real world because people need to make a blueprint before they make a building. To do this you need to have some background knowledge in proportions. Proportions allow you to make scale drawings of bigger things that can help in many ways. With a scale drawing you could make numerous edits to something without having to worry about messing up on the real thing. This could save time and money depending on what the project is. Also since scale drawings are smaller you can share it with other people without having to make people go to a set location.
The most exciting part about this project was going outside and measuring the buildings. This was the most exciting part because we got to go outside and actually try to measure a building using different methods, which I thought was kinda cool because most people don’t get to say I measured a building today. However, the I didn’t like doing the proportions to try and get the height of the building because there were were many issues that occurred that made us have to go out and do our measurements again, which was a pain.
I learned that there are a few different ways to measure a building and that you need proportions to do so. For example there are 3 methods you could use to help find the height of a building: the mirror method, shadow method and the stick method. They all have their ups and downs but can be very helpful for making scale drawings. I also learned that google earth has tools that allow you to measure a building’s width and height. Before I just thought it was an application that people used to look at cool places they wanted to visit if they ever got out of the country, but now I see that it’s not just for that.
2. Going outside and measuring the buildings and calculating the math was the most exciting part of the project. It was the most exciting because we got to actually use the methods to our advantage in the real world. This unit connected with the real world. Most of the things done in geometry I can’t connect to the real world. The least exciting portion of the project was drawling. It was least exciting because I am not good at drawling and I didn’t want to mess up the blueprint. It was also the least exciting because there was a lot of detail to draw and some of the information wasn’t required until we had to draw the blueprint.
3. I learned how to use the mirror method better and google earth. Also I learned how to do portions better and get the correct answer. This project helped me to realize how much geometry is used in the world. Geometry is needed for architecture, especially when blueprints are needed. Also contractors need to know how to do proportions off the top of their head instead of needing a piece of paper to write it down. Lastly, I learned how to use similar units to figure out how tall a building is.
The only use I can think of for this is for building buildings. When making something so big, it is impossible to measure everything by hand. So because of the using math will be much simpler.
2)What was the most exciting portion of this project and why? What was the least exciting portion to this project and why?
The fun part was when everyone went outside to measure the building. The math and drawing part wasn't much fun for me.
If I were to become a construction builder, I would I have to do this as a living, in order to do that I have to measure the length and width of the block to build a new building.2)What was the most exciting portion of this project and why? What was the least exciting portion to this project and why?
The least exciting part of this benchmark must be the amount of work we had to do. It seemed to drag on and on. The most exciting part of this benchmark is the going outside and measuring part.3) What did you learn from completing this project?
That there is more to just measuring buildings with a measuring tape. It is a really long process that requires time and effort. I also learned the different methods to measuring the height of a building with different items and methods.
The main that this project relates to the real world is in the facet of construction and architecture. It is important to both know the correct measurement and the correct means of attaining them in the real world. This project makes students apply essential skills and contains very marketable information that can be used for various occupations in the world. Students are challenged to come up with ways to measure unknown heights of a building using their knowledge of proportions and angles. The reason that these skills are so useful is because it teaches students how to apply themselves and possibly develop new ways and shortcuts to figure undetermined lengths or heights.
I thought that the most exciting part of the process was figuring out the proportions and their missing variables to determine the missing height of the building. It could have gone either way and it was very rewarding to see that you had gotten a reasonable or correct answer from some of your methods. The least exciting part of this project was drawing the visual representation itself. The work for it was very tedious and didn’t really show much math other than the scale. I would have much rather done another building than draw out the entire block with artistic detail.
I learned many skills from completing this project. The two mains ones that I would like to discuss are the ability to use mirrors and poles to attempt to figure out unknown heights of objects. I believe that this is not only a fun activity, but also a useful one for future assignments. It’s helpful to have a way to determine the height of a building or wall of some sort by using easy means to do so. Secondly, setting up proportions for these methods and solving them is crucial. By doing this, one can find out if angles/sides/heights/lengths are proportional or not.
From completing this project I learned that measuring buildings is much harder than it looks without the use of trigonometry. I learned that it is also difficult to take a picture of large buildings from the front. I also learned that drawing 54 windows to scale is very time consuming and takes much more time than you would think. But most importantly I learned the significance of being able to measure buildings, especially with congruency and similarity applications.
- How does this project relate to the real world?
This project relates to the real world via engineering. When you design a building you need to figure out the proper proportion for the height. Using the mirror, stick and shadow methods can help you find the proportion. Thus this project taught us that when dealing with buildings you need to know math like proportions and other mathy stuff like measuring and multiplication. And it also relates to the real world by telling us NOT to use the mirror method in engineering or construction or any other chosen field. And so that's how the project relates to the real world using math.
- What was the most exciting portion of this project and why? What was the least exciting portion to this project and why?
The most exiting portion was Jian measuring the building and braking the tape measure, causing us to fix it and seeing him try to wind it up while walking down the street. The expression on his face when he realized he could have jammed it back in was priceless. Not kidding. The least exiting portion of this project was doing the calculations. I swear I thought I was making a mistake every step of the solving, I ended up checking Wolfram Alpha and seeing that I was right all along. Then I struggled getting the verifications to make sense. But I did it all and it was as right as I could possibly get it.
- What did you learn from completing this project?
What I learned from completing this project was that the mirror method is horrible and the best way to measure a building would be to go to the top and drop a tape measure. Not kidding. At all. Technology is awesome. I think that the Mirror method is extremely unreliable. The measurements were way off the verification. I think that if we were to use some other method, like stick or something else it would be way more reliable. I also learned about how I learned about how you shouldn't pull a tape measure all the way out, see above to learn more.
I don't have access to the blueprint.
How does this project relate to the real world?This project does relate to the real world. I think at any where at anytime you can be put in a place where you need to find the height of something. You might not get the real height but you will be close. I find this project will come in handy when you have to move houses, or home remodel. You measure a lot of things when this is happening, and something a way to tall for you to get something a masure with.
What was the most exciting portion of this project and why? What was the least exciting portion to this project and why?
I think that the most exciting part of this project was getting to go outside. I really need in a school day to go outside, and get some air. This was really nice for the class, another was that you gave us help outside of school. One thing was it I think we needed a little more time, just for the drawing. Also it was a little cold.
What did you learn from completing this project?
I learned how to use the method we learned better, this was the biggest thing for me. Also I learned how to cross multiply much better. I am really bad at fractions and I have gotten better.