Better Than a Dream and Closer to a Nightmare

It felt like I was underwater rather than standing on the enormous diamond field. The ball’s rough surface cuts through my hand like glass as I spin it between my palms wondering if this is how God feels. To know that he holds the greatest power in just his hands, to know that each crevice in his palm is filled with a wonderful magic that only you possess. Then, I see Him dancing around the Earth in a beautiful colorful garb wrapped around his body. His hands stretch toward Earth seeming as though he’s trying to warm himself from a fire. Then I notice the silvery streams coming from Earth to His hands and turning gold as it  reflects off His hand and returning back to Earth. Panic strikes straight to my heart. What is he doing to my home?! Running towards him I yell at him to stop but he doesn’t turn around.

“Annie! Annie!” I hear muffled cries. It’s so hard to focus while feeling the tingly feeling run throughout my body. Having the sensation overwhelms me with joy and reminds me of the power I hold.

“Get back to the game, Bethany. Our life is riding on it,” a small voice tells me. Reminding me what this game really means and jolting me up through my haze back to facing reality. Winning this is my only option, the only way I could escape the cold metal tables with the blinding light hanging over it. I stretch out to have the sun warm my skin...but wait why do I feel grass? Slowly I open my eyes only to be blinded by a brilliant white light. Has my nightmare come true? But no I can hear the cheering again, my ears are no longer clogged but how’d I end up on the ground?

“Bethany?” I turn toward the direction my name was being called and found Louis staring at me with concern written all over his boyish face.
“What’s going on? How’d I get on the ground?” I question him quickly while using his offered hand to stand up. While pulling me up he responds, “You were preparing to throw another of your wicked curve balls when you just kind of collapsed. As though you were a puppet and the puppet-master accidentally let go of you strings. What was going on in your mind? Are you feeling okay?”

“Wow that’s odd, I felt amazing....Like I was day dreaming.”
“Well alright day dreamer,” Louis says while patting my back. “Time to win us some money.”
I step back to the small mount in the ground and assume my position which the team likes to joke and call “Annie’s Anal.” I watch the girl in front of me. Her expression a mixture of pure determination to hit my pitch but behind her fierce stare, I could tell that the determination was a façade for her uncertainty. This girl has watched her entire team strike out for the past 8 innings, for a moment I felt like I could feel her anxiety building up. The urge to give the opposing team a break was so strong I almost forgot why I was in the game anyway. To win. To absolutely dominate so that there is no terrible consequence once it’s all done and over with. I can feel my body automatically start to compress as my leg bent upward and my arm curled to my chest. Kissing the ball for luck, I swing my arm back. My hand begins tingling as I feel the magic follow through my veins and onto the ball not having to say how I want the ball to fly the magic could already tell what I wanted. It always can tell what I want. As I swing my arm forward the tingling sensation fades completely and as I let go of the ball I see a silver strand streaming between my finger tips and the ball. The strand reminded me of the man in my dream and the silver strands he was taking from Earth. I feel empty. I feel normal. I feel like how I was before.

Before I went to get the henna tattoos done with Sandy. Before Shadow scratched me and the henna leaked into my bloodstream and mixed. Creating the powers I have no. Who would have ever imagined that I, Bethany Turner, would have super powers. To own the ability of flying and controlling the speed of an object when throwing them. Unfortunately I had to discover my flying power publicly which is what got me into this situation. The day I was discovering my flying abilities, I was carrying my box of full loaded diapers from my last customers house when I tripped over my own feet while walking down the steep flight of steps. I remember my heart pounding as I started falling down the concrete steps. I squinted my eyes and strongly wished that I could fly, next thing I knew I could no longer feel the steps underneath my feet. I opened my eyes and saw that the steps were about 10 feet below me.
“Omigod, am I flying?!” I let go of the box of diapers and started soaring through the air feeling pure bliss. Little did I know that I was being filmed.

Sarah Tramp, my meanest customer. The owner of the last house I pick up my diapers from. She told me she recorded my discovery of my flying abilities and will send it to the government. She threatened me with my own nightmare of continuous tests. Of bright lights and proding needles. I couldn’t let this nightmare come true so I asked “Why would you do this to me? Please just give me the videos and this can just stay as a secret between us.”

Sarah’s expression faltered with pity for a quick second before returning the snarl she had on earlier, responding “I don’t care. I will do whatever it takes for me to save this house so that my baby has the chance to grow up in the house he was born in. If this video will earn me the money I need to pay my rent, it will be turned in quicker than you can say ‘wait.’”

Quickly the flyer I saw a couple of months ago popped into my mind, “Wait, if it’s money that you need there is a baseball game that my team will be playing in to win more money than you could ever imagine. If my team wins, I will give you the money and you will no have to give away that tape.”
She agreed. Now I’m here watching as the silver stream is still between my hand and the ball as the ball accelerates forward. It hits me then what the silver stream is. What He was taking from Earth in my dream. My magic is gone and is flying away from me. I can’t have it leave me, I can’t go back to the old Annie, the lonely Bethany Turner.

I run with my hand outstretched crying as the ball flew further away. Can I make it?