Blog Post 2 (YATW)

Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 12.31.55 PMHello again, for those of you that have not read my blog post #1, my name is Marcus Cruz and I’m on a mission to help prevent young students from dropping out. In my first blog post I explored different things that those that have drooped out can do to get their life back together (you can view my blog post #1 by clicking here). However, my goal for this part of my project was to find the causes of dropping out and warn the youth. I think it is better that they are exposed to why these things happen and if they see it happening in their life, they will be prepared to handle it.
First I began by interviewing my cousin Andrew, he has graduated recently from El Centro de Estudiantes, a school for those who have dropped out to get the education. I started by asking him what was his life before he dropped out? He answered “It was good, I felt like that there was a lot of pressure, for me as a student to handle all the responsibility...” I then asked him, how did he handle this? He said “I ignored it, I turned away from it, I thought I ain’t need it...”
We next talked about how was his life after he was ‘done’ with school. He gave me one word description, “broke” saying that he had no income.
However, Andy was able get back to school with El Centro De Estudiantes, a program/school to get dropouts back to school. I was there at his graduation, I was able to see his able to see his satisfaction and pride when he had that diploma in his hand. I asked him at his graduation, “now that you have your diploma what do feel?”.  He responded “Way more confident, now that I’m educated, I think I ready to work in more sophisticated places.”
Second, I went to Julia De Bergos (a middle school) and spoke to up and coming 8th graders, we discussed why they feel that they dislike school. They told me that it’s boring and it’s hard. I continued forward with their opinions why they don’t like school. I asked them how can we eliminate these problems by fixing ourselves. That question had them stumped.
Thats a problem that a lot of students are facing, self evaluation and constructive criticism. If students were able to fix solutions they found in themselves, they would be able to focus on obtaining their education.
I came back a week later, I told them my opinion and we made a goal. We would see an improvement from their 2nd report card by using self evaluation and fixing problems they find in themselves.Now my next post will contain, the results of this little test. Until next blog post.