Body Image: The start

Growing up I have always been “different”, I was the only mixed girl with locks at a afro centric school. Being the only mixed girl made me feel like I was too light and people always made comments about how I was too white for them. Along with my complexion I had locks, which wasn't quite a common hairstyle to see. People would say it looked like I had a dirty mop on my head or that I looked like Medusa. The comments that people made about my skin and hair me feel bad about myself, which drove me to comb out my locs. This is similar to how body image is affecting people everyday. Body image seems like a common thing because we don't really make it a big deal, however it can play a major role in someone's life, that is the cause of many issues. For my “You and the World” project i'm am going to be focusing on body image and how the media affects girls in high school. For this project I would like to see how body image really effects the girls in my high school, and based off of the information that I receive I hope to spread the reality of how body image is affecting people in my community.

Body image is mentioned often, but I don't think that people really think about what body image really is. The Merriam Webster Dictionary definition of Body image is “a subjective picture of one's own physical appearance established both by self-observation and by noting the reactions of others.” As mentioned in a BBC News article, social media is one of our main ways of communicating, however we don’t always put our true self forward. We tend to use filters or alter our pictures before we let the world see them. We want to be “perfect” so we don’t let people see our flaws.

This is a picture of a women looking at fake version of herself.

Did you know that Americans spend altogether about 250 billion hours of watching television? And about 30% of that is comercials? “The Media And Body Image” by Mirror Mirror Eating Disorder says that “ads seldom portray people that look like us.” the average model wears a 2 or a 4 while the average american wears a 12 or 14 (in women's sizes.) so people are striving to look like these models when on top of being way smaller than the average size, the images we see are altered to make the model look even skinner.

This is an image of a woman looking at what could be the other version of her, or what she sees vs. what is real.

Body image is becoming an issue that young girls are dealing with as well. The article “The Issues” by NYC girls project says that “80% of ten year old are afraid of being fat.” As well as “By middle school, 40-70 percent of girls are dissatisfied with two or more parts of their body.” knowing that people may not be the happiest with their bodies why does it matter? Not having the body image that you want can cause low self esteem and decrease your confidence. “The Issues” Article says that body image can cause eating disorders from low self esteem, alcohol abuse, smoking, obesity and bullying. These are some of the consequences that affect the people who suffer from not having the body image they want.

After reading “Male vs. Female Body Image”, I was able to see that men are affected by body image just not as severely as women. However that doesn't mean that it isn't and issue, men tend to be more discreet about it.

Body image is a simple issue that can become a very large issue in someone's life. The images we see on social media make an impact of how we see ourselves. That view of ourselves can cause bigger issues like an eating disorder or low self esteem and a lack of confidence. Taking what I have learned from research, I now want to see how real of an issue body image is in my high school.

If you would like more information on my research, check out my Annotated Bibliography

Chandrea Lack (Student 2020)
Chandrea Lack

Your topic is something a lot of girls need to reflect off of, it would be helpful for them to see that they're not the only ones being bullied by their body shape or complexion. I love how you added personal information about how people used to see you differently just because you were lighter and how you had a different hairstyle than other girls. I also enjoyed the fact that you based this off of only a girl's point of view, instead of focusing on both genders you have a smaller topic to focus mainly on. I can't wait to see what you do for your big change and i hope girls look up to your issue and see their bodies as a prize not just something to think negatively about and that the media shouldn't change who you are.

Sarah Son (Student 2020)
Sarah Son

Your post is amazing, Rasa. I love that you are doing this topic. The photo of the woman and the Barbie doll really stands out. Great job, Rasa!!

Teyonna Little (Student 2020)
Teyonna Little

I love this topic. It is real and can help young girls and women to know that they don't have to be like those models on tv. I love that nothing in this blog is sugar coated. I can't wait to see where your project leads to. Good job!

Simon Voituriez (Student 2020)
Simon Voituriez

Very good and very interesting post. I think that everybody is touched by this issue so it is good that you make a project about it! It is also very interesting because you're giving your personal experience!

Amira Gouri (Student 2020)
Amira Gouri

This is an interesting topic. I enjoyed reading your blog, it is clear and understandable. You included important facts that I never knew, and I believe that this topic needs to heard more because it is affecting many young women and men today. What would you do in order to prevent this problem?

Niya Petty (Student 2020)
Niya Petty

Rasa I love your topic because this happens a lot to young women today. I think other can relate and reading this can turn their thought around in a positive way. Great job

Niya Petty (Student 2020)
Niya Petty

Kishara Erwin (Student 2020)
Kishara Erwin

I cant wait to see where you go with your project. Your slate post is very interesting. Everything is organized and very detailed. You use vivid language and nothing is vague. Good Work!